Osprey @ ISO500

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Kevin Scott, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Stupid me! :x I forgot to check my settings before taking shots today. I went out for a bit to scout out some locations for outdoor portraits and take some sample shots. This osprey came flying by. I was using Gale's borrowed 70-200 so not much reach but figured what the heck.

It was backlit so the underside was slightly underexposed. Just playing around I duplicated the background and set mode to Screen. Then a little sharpening. A little bit of noise but not terrible, especially at this size. I was kind of surprised.

So it was taken at f5.6, 1/8000(!) and ISO500. Just a slight crop, too.

Lesson learned.... ;)

[​IMG]

2. Lisa

Lisa

May 3, 2005
    IL
    Kevin:

I happen to think this is FANTASTIC, ISO 500 or not. Nice capture and a great pose of a truly beautiful bird. I don't know how you guys do it as I practiced these types of shots in MN these past two weeks. I had the most difficult time trying to figure out where the sunlight should be to make the most of my shooting.
    I'm going to post some later so maybe you can stop by and give me some pointers :D

3. drueter

drueter

Apr 24, 2005
    Southeast Texas
    Cool shot, Kevin!! I'm still waiting to have an Osprey get that close for a shot! Nice capture.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thats GReat Kevin....

So nice to have someone test a lens for ya... Thanks :>))) ohhh the 1.7 tele convert will be in monday :>)))

Then you can try that with it.

So how do you like it.

5. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Ah Kevin, you are way too critical of yourself. This is a fine capture of an Osprey.

6. Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I almost brought my long lens with me today but decided against it as my mission was portrait related. So when I got there and then this guy appeared and flew directly overhead, I couldn't pass up the chance. I was just irritated that I had left the cam set from "evening @ Viera". :) I was actually surprised at how well it turned out considering...

Gale, I was doing some casual scenic shooting today. I paid attention to when the VR was clicking in. I'm going tomorrow with a guy to try out some of these locations so I'm planning on using the 70-200 for portraits. I've got lots of ideas so I'll be interested to see how it pans out in comparison to my other lenses that I've been using. I'm kinda looking forward to it. ;)

7. Nice shot Kevin, lovely pose!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Kevin,

I still sometimes forget to change my settings from session to session, although I'm getting better about checking before I shoot. It's really bad when an unexpected opportunity comes up, like this one, and you last shot macros (shutter = 1/60, aperture = f22 :roll:).

Still, you got a pretty good shot out of this. It looks a little like the red-tail that I got the other day. Nice wing exposure, but a little dark in the face. Doesn't it just make you want to spit. 8)

9. EXACTLY!!! It's not anything serious or the end of the world, just kinda makes you want to spit! Kinda like think how good it coulda been if only......

Well said, Frank!! :D

10. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Nice one, Just a good photographer at work with whatever you have to work with !!! :)

11. Thanks Ben but you give me too much credit! ;)