Osprey mom and juvenile

Last evening I returned to the osprey nest I photographed last week. This time I was able to see and photograph a juvenile with mom.

I estimate this nest is 35-40 feet up on top of a mainline hydro pole. I had to be perhaps 70 or 80 feet back from the base of the pole to get an angle to shoot. I would imagine my camera to subject distance to be somewhere in the vicinity of 90 or more feet.

I used my Sigma 100-300 with a 1.4x TC for all the shots. Even so, the crop was significant. Perhaps 25% or less. I'm very pleased with the performance of this lens and TC. All shots were taken using manual settings and a tripod.

As you will see, I managed to get a shot of the juvie testing it's wings on the rim of the nest with mom looking on. What a treat this was for me. I hope you enjoy these as much as I enjoyed taking them.

of1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

of2.jpg

of3.jpg

excellent Harv, just excellent
We have a nest a few minute fome me and have been watching them. Some of the expressions you captured are quite familiar:))

Great shots. The last one is my favorite. Amazing detail and sharpnes for such a heavy crop.

Server may have been down when you looked

StephanieHelen said:
Hi Harv, the pics did not show up.
Stephanie

Server may have been down when you looked. If you are reading this, you can probably now see the pics.

Thanks for looking.

Gale and Torben, thanks very much for your kind words. You guys are always so supportive and encouraging.

Wow Harv!

That shot of the osprey with its wings outspread is marvelous! Talk about being in the right place at the right time!

Wonderful!

Kellii

Thanks, guys and gals.

Lee-Ann, I think the expression goes something like this... f/8 and be there.

Bill, actually I'm amazed at how well it works. I've used the 100-300 lots and love what it gives me but this is the first time using it with the 1.4x TC and frankly I did not expect it to do as well as it did.

Latest threads

Top Bottom