Osprey Nest Building ... They're BAACCCCKKK

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 16, 2007.

1. As Jim noted on Saturday, our Osprey have returned, and it does appear to be the same pair, although I'll have to read the tag on the Male to be sure. They have just arrived in the last couple of weeks, not being here the last I checked a few weeks ago. This is good, as we can now see what we missed last year, building the nest.

Going to the Harware Store to Pick Up Bldg. Material - D200, 400 f2.8, TC-17E
    [​IMG]

Look at where the bird is about to land. In a couple of weeks this will have a 6ft wide, 200 lb nest on top.

In for a Landing - D200, 400 f2.8, TC-17E
    [​IMG]

Coming Home with Bldg. Stuff - D200, 200-400 F4 at 400mm handheld
    [​IMG]

Going for the Pickup - D200, 200-400 f4, handheld
    [​IMG]

OOOPPPPSSSEEEE!, sometimes they miss - D200, 200-400 f4, handheld
    [​IMG]

Nice day, some sun, lot's of clouds, even a bit of rain. Ah, life in the PNW. I'll post a few more later of the "state" of the building, looking pretty slim so far :wink:

2. Well Bill, I'd say you captured the moment of yesterday with these images. I think this is going to be a very special year to be able to document the entire story from nest building through chicks hatching, to becoming adults. Look forward to it. I'll try to get some of my images posted this evening.

Louie

3. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    The last 3 are really great.
    Building a log cabin:>))))

4. He should have a carpenter's license for attempting to use lumber that big!!! :eek:

Great shots, Bill. That first one coming at you is amazing!
    Those talons in the fourth are outstanding. Keep showing us more please. I'm "shooting vicariously through you" because we're still enduring the last vestiges of winter here.

5. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    The first one is a very unique photo at least from what I have seen. I like them all but especially #1 and #5.

6. yifeng

yifeng

Jan 23, 2007
    IL
    Those are great captures, Bill. Hope I could see them someday when I have my 200-400.

7. Chip

Chip

Oct 13, 2005
    WA
    Bill. #4. WOW! Should look good on your wall:smile: .

8. Bill, looks like you captured the close in shots great. I was to tired to look at mine yet. I think we will have a grand spring and summer with these. I may stop by again later this week to see how it is going. I think we can all be very happy to have such a great act of nature to watch and share,

9. Nice series Bill. Glad your ospreys are back. You guys are a little behind us Floridians. I've already been shooting the chicks for weeks. They'll be flying soon. :) Keep 'em coming.

10. Nice Bill! Weather here in Jersey has been pretty bad...can't wait for it to clear up so I can visit my osprey nests.

Anthony

11. Spectacular shots Bill!

Note to self - Go back to "God's country" [PNW] more often!)

12. JohnK

JohnK

Aug 6, 2006
    Pacific NW
    Great shots Bill! I can't wait to see what you get when we finally get some decent light.:biggrin:

13. It's great they are back!!! We are all looking forward to more pictures from them as they progress and I will be stopping by when i coe down as well!!!

14. Hey, Louie, it was a decent day overall, even if we DID get rained on :biggrin:

Thanks, Gale, I'll post a few more later showing some of that "lumber" hitting the top of the piling. Pretty amazing.

Thanks, Sandi. You'd think it was winter here as well, expected hail yesterday but as usual, weather-dweebs got it all wrong. The first one surprised the heck out of me, but I thought the "in your face" talons were kind of cool.

Thanks.

Thanks, I'm sure you will enjoy the 200-400 as much as I do mine :biggrin:

Hey, Chip, thanks. It was pretty amazing watching them pick up material from the shore almost in front of us. Made for a great angle :biggrin:

Thanks, Jim, as did you. And I agree, Mother Nature has really blessed up again.

Thanks. You Florididians are spoiled, you get to see them year 'round. It is so much more "special" for us when they come back, dontcha know??? :wink: :wink: Gotta love those Red Eyes on the little ones.

Thanks, Anthony. We sure know what you mean about the weather. We are at the point of grabbing any two hours we find that MIGHT have some sun :wink:

Thanks, Nick. You sure are welcome up our way any time you can make it.

Thanks, John, and that is so true. Amazing how many of these we have around isn't it?

Looking forward to seeing you again Andreas. It is sure a thrill to have what appears to be the same pair back again in the same place.