Osprey or Hawk?

Discussion in 'Birds' started by JayR, Sep 7, 2005.

1. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    My first CLOSE encounter with a bird of prey. Is this a hawk or an osprey? I am not sure. I need to get one of the birding books.

I found this guys at Marymoor Park last month. Late late evening with not much light. The shots were underexposed and I had to bump up EV in NC by as much as +1.0EV. I think they turned out well considering the conditions and the underexposure.

He was perched on a 25ft tree trunk perch. I got right underneath him and he posed for a minute before he flew away. Unfortunately I couldn't get any shots of him flying as I was surrounded by trees and when he toook off I couldn't see him.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shot with the 70-200VR @ 200mm. I added +1EV, USM, and a +8 contrast boost in Nikon Capture.

2. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Awesome shots Jay. Really get the adrenalin flowing, huh?

It's definitely not an Osprey, but whatever it is, it's a beauty. :wink:

3. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    Thanks for the comments, Frank.

It was definitely an adrenaline rush. To tell you the truth, he was looking right down on me and I thought that he is going to swoop down on me and put a hole in my head. :smile:

Looking at other pictures in the forum, I think this might be a hawk and not an osprey.

4. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Its a Hawk. An Osprey has white or grey legs that are much bigger.

Excellent captures btw!

5. Nice captures all Jay.

6. Definitely a hawk and not an osprey. Possibly a juvenile that's transitioning to adult plumage, from the looks of things. But I'm not the expert here -- there's plenty of folks who could give you a better ID than me.

Nice captures, though! The 70-200 is one of my favorite lenses in my kit. I'm guessing you probably like yours, too. :smile:

7. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Great shot my favorite birds
    It is a Hawk from the look a Juvi red shoulder hawk and really nice looking one

8. jfenton

jfenton

Jan 26, 2005
    Haverhill, MA
    Juvenile RTH

That's what it looks like to me as well from some that I've seen in Florida.

9. JayR

JayR

Jul 6, 2005
    Redmond, WA.
    I appreciate all the comments.

I am going to buy a bird id book. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

Thanks.

10. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
  12. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I'm almost positive it is an immature Red Tail Hawk. You can still see a bit of blue in the eye, a sign that it was born earlier this year.