Osprey or Hawk?

My first CLOSE encounter with a bird of prey. Is this a hawk or an osprey? I am not sure. I need to get one of the birding books.

I found this guys at Marymoor Park last month. Late late evening with not much light. The shots were underexposed and I had to bump up EV in NC by as much as +1.0EV. I think they turned out well considering the conditions and the underexposure.

He was perched on a 25ft tree trunk perch. I got right underneath him and he posed for a minute before he flew away. Unfortunately I couldn't get any shots of him flying as I was surrounded by trees and when he toook off I couldn't see him.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Shot with the 70-200VR @ 200mm. I added +1EV, USM, and a +8 contrast boost in Nikon Capture.

Awesome shots Jay. Really get the adrenalin flowing, huh?

It's definitely not an Osprey, but whatever it is, it's a beauty. :wink:

Thanks for the comments, Frank.

It was definitely an adrenaline rush. To tell you the truth, he was looking right down on me and I thought that he is going to swoop down on me and put a hole in my head. :smile:

Looking at other pictures in the forum, I think this might be a hawk and not an osprey.

PGB

Its a Hawk. An Osprey has white or grey legs that are much bigger.

Excellent captures btw!

Definitely a hawk and not an osprey. Possibly a juvenile that's transitioning to adult plumage, from the looks of things. But I'm not the expert here -- there's plenty of folks who could give you a better ID than me.

Nice captures, though! The 70-200 is one of my favorite lenses in my kit. I'm guessing you probably like yours, too. :smile:

B

bfjr

Great shot my favorite birds
It is a Hawk from the look a Juvi red shoulder hawk and really nice looking one

I appreciate all the comments.

I am going to buy a bird id book. Does anyone have a recommendation for a good one?

Thanks.

I'm almost positive it is an immature Red Tail Hawk. You can still see a bit of blue in the eye, a sign that it was born earlier this year.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom