Critique Osprey- sticking the landing

Beautiful morning out floating on the boat.
Activity is picking up, after a slow early spring.
Trying something different. No masking here at all, just a couple of color filters.
Thoughts?
thanks
gary

Chainof lakes 31321   36872_DxO.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Beautiful. I've tried to get images like that. Closest I've come was a blurry image of a big hawk landing in its nest.

Real Name
Dan
I looked at this image several times before commenting. The position of the bird, perch, composition, techs, etc, immediately jumped out as excellent. My first impression of the black BG wasn't good. But the more I've looked at it the more I like it. I suspect this is one of those images that would have immediately wowed me viewed large and doesn't translate as well to my 13 inch laptop screen or mobile device. I think what initially bothered me is that n a small format some of the detail on talons and feather get lost against the black BG. Based on experience I'm sure those subtle details will be revealed in a large format. I say print it. Nicely done.

Thanks all. You are my test audience. Our local groups are not meeting yet.
I looked at this image several times before commenting.
Dan, I wasn't sure of this one either- which is one reason I put it up here.
The image natively has a pure blue cloudless sky- can you say boring? I liked the image, but disliked the background.
I threw a strong red filter on it in post- and it looked essentially like this. To me, it was better. I rarely (never) do black background with color images, but it seemed to work.
I did a 12x18" test print, and I think you are right- I need to see if I can bring the talons out a little more. Otherwise it looks pretty good. Better than the bald blue sky anyway.

Perfect timing on that capture
Ed, that is why I need the 30fps alpha 1. (not). The alpha 1 is being called the bird in flight camera for dummies. I'm in line. This was shot at 3fps- I got lucky.

I've tried to get images like that. Closest I've come was a blurry image of a big hawk landing in its nest.
Thanks. You just need lots of light and a fast shutterspeed. Try 1/2000 or faster. Otherwise it is just being there- a lot.

Go shoot more
gary

Phil K

Real Name
Phil
Beautiful capture! Great detail, very sharp and good timing.

I looked at the image for a long time and the branch just seemed a bit odd to me. I can't explain why and I know you didn't do anything to it.

the branch just seemed a bit odd
No, that is just what the branch looked like. I didn't even take the bird crap off the branch, although I was tempted.
I looked at moving the bird an inch or two higher as this approach looks low, but this is how it was.
I really do appreciate everyones thoughts- and actually taking time to look at this.
It helps me learn.
Thanks
gary

Latest threads

Top Bottom