Osprey turns Eagle on its back

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Jul 9, 2007.

1. A few days ago, Jim, Bill and myself spent a wonderful morning watching Osprey dive and catch fish, which was quite a show by itself. But the action only begins when the Osprey does manage to snag a fish, then is when the eagles come into play. The eagles seems to hang back in the trees and just wait until they see an Osprey with a fish and then the chase is on.

This series of shots captures a little bit of the action between the the Osprey and Eagle. I'm not sure I've seen an Osprey become this aggressive with an eagle before. I was focusing on the Eagle, so I'm afraid the Osprey was quite out of focus.

The last shot was another first for me, seeing a Crow trying to take on an Eagle.

The Osprey is zeroing in on the fish.
    original.

original.

The Eagle has been watching.
    original.

Before this shot the Osprey lost the fish and is beginning to turn its attention to the Eagle.
    original.

Now comes a little ariel battle.
    original.

original.

original.

Louie

2. Glacier

Glacier

Jan 17, 2006
    Boaz, Alabama
    Louie this post has it all. Great photographs and great story to go with it. I really like the eagle preparing for the aerial battle!

3. a lot of cool shots here Louie, wish I would have been with you!!!

4. husawis

husawis Guest

Louie - Osprey and Eagles do not get along well - eagles will actually chase down osprey forcing them to drop their catch which the Eagle then captures in mid-air. If an Eagle is injured in combat, Osprey will hound it sometimes forcing it to land where it has virtually no defence but to hope the Osprey retreats before real damage is done. Great shots

5. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Wow exciting stuff
    Beautiful images.

6. Great Captures Louie

You certainly have some great shooting out there. Well done I'm impressed!!!

7. Great shots Louie! Do eagles fish like ospreys?

Anthony

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Louie. I'd love to get an opportunity like this. :smile:

9. Louis, we sure did have a lot of fun that day. Excellent captures all of them. I will post a few later.

10. tech1961

tech1961

Jan 28, 2007
    Houston Tx.
    Incredible captures.

11. S T U N N I N G!

12. Louie, simply amazing shots!

13. Beautiful series, Louie. What fun it must be to watch these birds. Looks like neither one of them ended up with the fish!

14. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    Great stuff Louie. Maybe I'm being dense, but did the osprey drop the fish to take on the eagle or were the two things unrelated? Maybe dropping the fish ticked him off and he decided to take it out on the eagle. Or maybe, it was like when a football receiver sees the defender out of the corner of his eye and drops the ball - the osprey saw the eagle, dropped the fish then realized it was an immature eagle and decided to kick its tailfeathers. Ha!

15. Thanks Baxter. The Osprey had already dropped the fish. I think your take on it is probably correct. One for sure there is quite a rivalry between the two when there is a fish involved.

16. Excellent series and superb flight shots. Great stuff!

Jose

17. Glacier, thanks for commenting. The action we have witnessed at this spot has been just incredible.

Thanks Andreas. You would have loved every minute of this action.

Thanks for your comments, very interesting. I think I've witnessed much of what you're saying here. It's nature's way. It has been a real experience for me to watch these interactions though, I always come away with a real feeling of respect for nature afterwards.

Thanks Gale.

Thanks, every now and again we find something at the same time the weather is good.
    Thanks Anthony. I'm not sure that eagles fish just like ospreys do, but they do indeed snag fish.

Thanks Frank. Well we're just going to have to get you up here.

Thanks Jim. This location has certainly given us all a lot of enjoyment.

Thanks for taking a look.

18. Thanks Nick, I appreciate your comments.

Thank you very much.

Thanks David. I believe you're right in that neither came away with a fish out of that encounter. But they sure are enjoyable to watch both the fising tactics of the osprey and then the stealing tactics of the eagle.

Thanks Jose. They guys have surely put on a show for us all.

Thanks Raymond.

19. Louie, That is one impressive looking immature female eagle and the photos are first rate. Quote, Ben Franklin, a bird of poor manner and bad behavior. OK now in the end who got the fish?
    Lou