Osprey up close (digiscope)

Hey Everybirdy,

While patiently awaiting the arrival of my D200 this week:biggrin: :biggrin: , I had a very accommodating Osprey who was enjoying his meal and decided to digiscope it with my trusty Nikon rig. I was within about 50 feet or so, all are full frame, no cropping. Thought it'd be fun to see what I'd get.
And now, it's fun to share with all of you! :wink:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

View attachment 91232

View attachment 91233

View attachment 91234

View attachment 91235

View attachment 91236

View attachment 91237

Yummy!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Thanks Louie and Gary! It was fun watching it. Living here in Florida, it's easy to take these guys for granted as they are everywhere, but once in a while...."You gotta stop!...and.." watch the Ospreys! :rolleyes:

Cool shots Tom.
Looks like that digiscoping works pretty well. Does the scope have a zoom on it?
Thanks Chris. The scope has a set eyepiece at 30X. All the zoom is in the camera. The coolpix has an optical zoom of 3.5X. The digital zoom is up to 4x but it gets rather grainy.
They do have a 20-60X zoom eyepiece but it is not fitted for the camera bracket as far as I know.

Thanks Jose, Frank and Gale. Appreciate you checking it out. The digiscope is certainly easier to manage with a cooperative subject. I actually have a series of the same bird (at the same time) shot with my D70. I've yet to sift through them and do a comparison. Might be a little while before I get to it being that my D200 has arrived!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
Need to find a worthy place for it's break in! Hmmmm, Viera, or the Refuge? Tough choices I have down here eh? :tongue: Let you all know how it turns out soon enough.

Ooooohhh, Yuckie-Poo, how thoroughly disgusting .... :wink:

It is interesting to see how the head does get eaten first. Watching our pair last year, the bird which "brought back" the fish more often than not sat on a different perch, ate the head, and then brought the body back to the nest for the rest of the family. Very consistent behavior. I think it is even more interesting to watch how they will "turn" the fish in their talons whild flying so it is headfirst, makes it more aerodynamic I think.

Cool series.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom