1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Osprey up close (digiscope)

Discussion in 'Birds' started by woundedmallard, Apr 17, 2007.

1. Hey Everybirdy,

While patiently awaiting the arrival of my D200 this week:biggrin: :biggrin: , I had a very accommodating Osprey who was enjoying his meal and decided to digiscope it with my trusty Nikon rig. I was within about 50 feet or so, all are full frame, no cropping. Thought it'd be fun to see what I'd get.
    And now, it's fun to share with all of you! :wink:

original.

View attachment 91232

View attachment 91233

View attachment 91234

View attachment 91235

View attachment 91236

View attachment 91237

Yummy!!!! :biggrin: :biggrin:

2. Thomas, very nice series great captures. It's almost like a documentary.

Louie

3. Great behavior series Tom

4. Thanks Louie and Gary! It was fun watching it. Living here in Florida, it's easy to take these guys for granted as they are everywhere, but once in a while...."You gotta stop!...and.." watch the Ospreys! :rolleyes: 

5. They seem to start eating at the head first. . . and. . . . the fish is always still alive.

6. Holy Cow! Those are phenomenal photos! Wow,you (and each viewer of the pictures) were right there with him as he was enjoying his meal....

7. Yeah, it's kinda morbid. They chip away at the head and then seem to eat the brains and gills. It would be a lot worse if it were tail first, eh? :eek: 

8. Thanks Connie.

9. cknight

cknight

May 2, 2005
    Madison, AL
    Cool shots Tom.
    Looks like that digiscoping works pretty well. Does the scope have a zoom on it?

10. Thanks Chris. The scope has a set eyepiece at 30X. All the zoom is in the camera. The coolpix has an optical zoom of 3.5X. The digital zoom is up to 4x but it gets rather grainy.
    They do have a 20-60X zoom eyepiece but it is not fitted for the camera bracket as far as I know.

11. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Excellent set Tom.

12. Now that is crisp! If a little gruesome :) . Well done Thomas. Looks like you have the scope dialed in.

Best,

Jose

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Talk about up close and personal:>)))
    good shots

14. Thanks Jose, Frank and Gale. Appreciate you checking it out. The digiscope is certainly easier to manage with a cooperative subject. I actually have a series of the same bird (at the same time) shot with my D70. I've yet to sift through them and do a comparison. Might be a little while before I get to it being that my D200 has arrived!!! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:
    Need to find a worthy place for it's break in! Hmmmm, Viera, or the Refuge? Tough choices I have down here eh? :tongue: Let you all know how it turns out soon enough.

15. Cool! Very nice set, Thomas. Digiscopy at it's very best.

16. Sharon

Sharon

Feb 18, 2006
    Wow! Quite a series! I felt like I was right there watching.

17. Glad I just came back from lunch before I looked at these. Now that is what I call up close. Nice images.

18. Ooooohhh, Yuckie-Poo, how thoroughly disgusting .... :wink:

It is interesting to see how the head does get eaten first. Watching our pair last year, the bird which "brought back" the fish more often than not sat on a different perch, ate the head, and then brought the body back to the nest for the rest of the family. Very consistent behavior. I think it is even more interesting to watch how they will "turn" the fish in their talons whild flying so it is headfirst, makes it more aerodynamic I think.

Cool series.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.