Osprey, up close ...

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Retief, Apr 22, 2007.

1. Our Osprey pair is very busy with nest building, we did see them do something new yesterday, flying into a dry field to pick up some grasses. We have seen them pick up wet weeks and mud, I think to pack the nest, but it was a surprise to see them "hunting grass" in a field :biggrin:

Images with D01 are D200, 400 f2.8 plus TC1.7, those with D02 are d200 with 200-400 handheld. All are full-frame or very modest crops. These, and more, can also be found Here.

Heading to the Building Supply Store:
    [​IMG]

Honey, I'm BAAACCCK!
    [​IMG]

Bringing back Field Grass:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still Dripping after a Water Pickup
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Very nice Bill, love those water drops in the last two.

3. Oh these are beautiful! We heard about some ospreys sighted at Hagerman! Just wish I could have gotten a pic of one! Keep em comin!

4. I like the last two, without the wings clip. Nice shooting Bill

5. Hokum

Hokum

Jun 20, 2006
    Pennines UK
    Great shots Bill, wish we had ospreys near us... or any birds of prey for that matter!

6. Nice set Bill. The Osprey are sure providing some nice shots for us. I was glad to get some shots of them in the sun on Thursday.

7. You guys up there are SOOOOO spoiled!

Great shots Bill. I've not heard about the dry grass hunting before today.

8. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Nice work Bill

9. Way to go Bill you nailed those shots.

Nicely Done!!

10. Beautiful series Bill. The next to the last shot is a terrific shot.

Louie

11. Very nice set Bill I like the last ones on the diagonal and the water droplets are just an extra nice bonus!!!

12. Thanks, Harry. It is pretty interesting to see the "extras" that happen like this.

Thanks. Be persistent. It took me months before I saw the first ones up here, then once I knew what to look for, and where to look, I find them all over the area now.

Thanks. Wing Clip is an interesting concept. We had a display of world wide award winning photos here a few months ago, and just about all had a wing or two clipped. Sometimes they just come so nice and close :biggrin:

Thanks. Perhaps you need to go and train a bird or two? An Attack Sparrow or such??????

Thanks, Jim. This sure is starting off to be a good season, eh?

Thanks, Nick, and you are one to talk about "spoiled" ... :wink: :wink: I had never seen that either, it was quite fun to watch.

Thanks, Gale. Isn't it getting close to Limpkin Time?

Thanks. Cooperative subjects help a lot :biggrin:

Thanks, Louie. Those last two seem to be the "faves" of the bunch, eh?

Thanks, Andreas. I liked the wing postiion on that one as well, and I agree, the drops just add a "touch". Let us know when you will be down this way.