1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ospreys Ospreys and more Ospreys

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Randy, Mar 23, 2011.

1. These are from last Thursday, my 1st day out this year on Lake Norman North Carolina. In previous years we have had 1-3 nests on shoal markers, this year I have already found 5 that are pretty close to the marina where I keep my boat, which is a good thing considering that gas will probably top $5 a gallon this year. Birds on Lake Norman have increased every year in the last 6 years since I started shooting them with this year seemingly the biggest increase.

These were shot with a D300s + 300vr + 1.7TC.
    Somedays it's hard to tell the 300vr + 1.7 from the 500mm and I have to check to be sure (I wish the 300vr + 1.7 would show as 510mm:smile:) 
    EXIF should be attached.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Looks Like you got a Good location Randy!!!

3. wonderful set!

4. Jason

Jason

Aug 15, 2008
    St. Louis, MO
    Great shots Randy. Wish I had an Osprey location...but alas their numbers are in decline here in Missouri. Glad I can view shots like these to tide me over!

5. NYracefan

NYracefan

Nov 19, 2008
    Highland,NY
    Very nice work Randy. Sounds like you have a real hot spot to shoot at down there. Will not be long before the local pair near me start showing up. There are 2 nests, never know which of the 2 they will actually use, and one is really close, I hope this is the one they choose again this year (as they have for the last 2 seasons) Again, well done. I always enjoy the nest tending images.

6. Beautiful set Randy ...
    I have to travel aways to find any known Osprey nests up here so you're very fortunate ...

ron

7. mbg914

mbg914

Oct 4, 2008
    Maryland
    Great Shots Randy. I am looking forward to photographing these guys this year. Hope mine turn out as good as yours.

Michael

8. cbbr

cbbr

Nov 21, 2009
    Baton Rouge, La.
    Beautiful set!

9. Baxter

Baxter

Jan 8, 2007
    Clemson, SC
    You are the osprey man Randy. Good to see that you're back in business.

10. Great location. I expect to see many more.

11. johncarol

johncarol

Jan 31, 2006
    SW Florida
    Wow, that is almost a season of shooting in one day.

12. Great series Randy, excellent job with these. Look forward to seeing more.

13. Randy,

This is a great location, that will serve you well over the next couple of months!

14. Holy moly Randy, the hits they just keep a comin.....
    Nice, very nice.

What are those GPS coordinates again.....:biggrin:

15. Super set Randy. All I can hope for is that our ospreys will return to the old nest site. It has been three years since we got super close osprey shots.

16. Fabulous work Randy!
    You're whetting my appetite for the 1.7 TC.
    Fred

17. Randy, those are amazing!! You make that lens-tc combo stand up and sing!! How close were you to the birds? Did you have to crop much on these? I'm shamelessly trying to compare your shooting conditions to my own. I have one other question: when you say the exif info should be "attached" should I be able to see the exif data right here in the cafe? I know I can download the photo and then see it that way but would prefer to not have to go that way if not necessary? Thanks Randy, again these are amazing shots!!

--Sarah

18. Maxis Gamez

Maxis Gamez

Sep 22, 2010
    S.W Florida
    Very nice series. I wish some did not had the wings cut.

19. sla12

sla12

Jul 2, 2009
    Nashua, NH
    Outstanding set Randy!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.