OT: 2nd USB port in Ford vehicles with SYNC

I've got a 2011 Ford truck which I love - particularly the SYNC option that allows me to plug my iPod into a USB port in the lower part of the dashboard, just below the heater/AC controls.

I can plug my iPod into this, select USB, and have access to approximately 1,000 of my favorite songs. It's great. What isn't great is the fact that, every time I leave my truck anywhere for an extended period of time, I have to unplug the iPod and stash it in the center console to keep it out of sight from would-be thieves. It's a slight inconvenience, but one I've dealt with...until now.

A week or so ago, I was cruising some of the forums dedicated to Ford trucks and found a thread that explained that there is a 2nd USB port under a dash panel that can be used to connect an iPod - which can be left in the glove box. So I bought a $3.50 mini USB (male) to USB 2.0 female adaptor. In less than 5 minutes, it was working. The only catch is that it must be activated through voice commands, which is how I typically use it anyway. It only took a 7mm socket and ratchet and the job was done. Nothing to it.

If you have one of these trucks (or similar vehicles) with SYNC and a removable panel in the top of the dash, you can do it too. It takes very little mechanical ability and the end result is fantastic.

I've got a 2011 Ford truck which I love - particularly the SYNC option that allows me to plug my iPod into a USB port in the lower part of the dashboard, just below the heater/AC controls.

I can plug my iPod into this, select USB, and have access to approximately 1,000 of my favorite songs. It's great. What isn't great is the fact that, every time I leave my truck anywhere for an extended period of time, I have to unplug the iPod and stash it in the center console to keep it out of sight from would-be thieves. It's a slight inconvenience, but one I've dealt with...until now.

A week or so ago, I was cruising some of the forums dedicated to Ford trucks and found a thread that explained that there is a 2nd USB port under a dash panel that can be used to connect an iPod - which can be left in the glove box. So I bought a $3.50 mini USB (male) to USB 2.0 female adaptor. In less than 5 minutes, it was working. The only catch is that it must be activated through voice commands, which is how I typically use it anyway. It only took a 7mm socket and ratchet and the job was done. Nothing to it.

If you have one of these trucks (or similar vehicles) with SYNC and a removable panel in the top of the dash, you can do it too. It takes very little mechanical ability and the end result is fantastic.

Or you can just get a 500GB portable hard drive and put your whole music collection on there. I did that in my wife's Lincoln and it is great. You don't even think about it until you want to update songs on it. She doesn't even care to bring the iPod anymore.

Or you can just get a 500GB portable hard drive and put your whole music collection on there. I did that in my wife's Lincoln and it is great. You don't even think about it until you want to update songs on it. She doesn't even care to bring the iPod anymore.

True. But I like to put my iPod on shuffle. I don't think you can do that with a hard drive.

Cool. I'll have to check this out on my 2012. I also would rather use my iPod/iPhone because I listen to a lot of podcasts which are managed either through iTunes or my phone app.

True. But I like to put my iPod on shuffle. I don't think you can do that with a hard drive.

From what I understand Sync kind of does that. There is a "fav" feature, if I'm calling it right, where one can select it from the touch screen. I am not sure if it is the same as Apple's version as I don't use it. She's happy and she Sync "syncs" it to the library so everything works pretty nicely.

Sync does have some sort of shuffle capability.

Both of my cars have Sync, both have USB ports inside the center console. I'm using low profile flash drives in each...works great.

Both of my cars have Sync, both have USB ports inside the center console. I'm using low profile flash drives in each...works great.

Thanks, the word I was looking for is "shuffle" and just couldn't think of it.

Flash drives work great, but are limited in size, at least at the time before I got her the HD. Our music collection far exceeds what can be stored on a single flash drive, even what is offered today. Plus high capacity external HDs are cheaper.

While we are on the subject of Sync and shuffle, does anyone know if I can shuffle albums instead of songs? I have my iPod in the console of my '13 Boss 302 and from what I can tell Sync only lets me shuffle all songs. I want to play one entire album and then go to the next random album, etc.
Can that be done?

That's great. How do you access this feature? I'd love to be able to use this without going through the iPod menu.

My Audi 1 has the MMI option and 2 sd card holders, you can load all your music from the sd cards to the JUKEBOX, I think it hold 5000 songs + plays dvd's through the Bose and pop up screen, heaven in a motor car!!!.

See how long a HD lasts left in a car in Phoenix :wink:

My iPod lives in my glovebox. It's been therefor about 4 years. They only time it comes out is when I download new music and need to sync it. I have never had a problem with leaving it in the car.

When oh when will the technology be invented that would allow you to visually document such a procudure!

Don't suppose any of this is available in my OLD 2002 Ford Van.:frown: Don't laugh it only has 40,000 km. T'was my mother's and sat in her garage most of the time since she bought it in 02. Had 20,000 on it when I took it off her hands. :smile: I am such a good daughter.

Latest threads

Top Bottom