OT Any retired folks missing their past?

B

Bill N

A bit off topic...
Just thought I would toss out a question for those that have moved on from a career. I've been retired for 6 years now (26 years on the job). First couple of years it seemed like a wave of relief. Next few years I didn't think about it much. The other day my wife and I were out doing some shopping. We heard a siren approaching and watched as scout car came by heading to who knows where. I must have had a look on my face because my wife asked "you miss it don't you?". With an odd realization I found that I do! Dang, kind of strange to realize the a major part of you life is over, never to be again.

So my question, anyone else find themselves missing the work they did most of their adult life after retiring?
Regards, Bill

I retired in Oct.06 and went back to work 11 months later parttime working for a photo processing business that caters to working photographers around the country. I also do a bit of event photography for them too.

As for my previous career... don't miss it at all but I do enjoy doing what I am doing now..

I had to retire because of ill health 5 years ago after 32 years in work.
I don't miss it one bit. Apart from the first job, which was relatively pleasurable, I came to hate my employers for their treatment of myself and everyone around me. Sure I miss the regular contact with well informed, intelligent people but don't miss the pressure, deceit, disloyalty, lack of respect and back stabbing. Apart from that working was a breeze :wink:

Strangely, since retiring, I find my days so fully occupied that I wonder how I ever had the time to take part in the rat race. I just hope that I get time enough to enjoy it before the grim reaper moment.

had to retire my police career due to health reason.Sure there are things i miss,but plenty thinks i dont.Riot detail,Winter nightshifts.Your atitude and other habbits as Police officer is a thing that can pop up every now and then.I never dial 112 (europe`s 911) but the direct line with the police dispatcher.Have a pager that give me all the calls from the firebrigade ambulange and police pressofficer at hand 24/7.See things that other dont

Retirement is THE BEST thing I've ever done.
Miss my work? NOT AT ALL.
I am so busy now that I really don't know when I had time to work.
LUV Retirement...

Real Name
Ken St John
I guess you'd call me "semi-retired." Retired from the Air Force in Sept '93. Worked several "full-time" jobs after that (agency and corporate PR in Singapore and Seattle) but in '02 I started my own MS-based networking and technical support company. I work from a home office and I'd classify it as about 80% "full time". Which leaves me plenty of time to be a "stay-at-home Dad" to our 9 year old son.

I don't miss the PR work at all.

But the Air Force is different. If possible, I would drop everything and go back on active duty in a minute. I still have base access and every time I go there to shop or see the doc, it just feels like "home." I've often said that the work I did as a missile crew commander could easily be done by a 50+ year old rather than the 20+ folks out there today. That would free those guys up for the other important stuff that requires youth. I'm ready, wiling and able!! Oh well ...

Having said that, I do enjoy my situation as a home-based worker. Other than the Air Force, it's the best "job" I have every had or could imagine.

Cheers!!

Ken

The first year or so I missed the people and the respect I got from being the over a large organization. That went by and I have never looked back. Retirement is great.

I am retired due to my health, and now my wifes health and needs have kept me from "piddling a bit" in my chosen field. I do truly miss the problems, challenges and sense of accomplishment. I was in Atlanta Ga. yesterday, and found myself driving by building projects that I had been a small part of in my youth. So yes the I understand the sound of a sirens call to you. It is the same for me, when I see a large crane boom rising above the buildings, i have to go have a look.

My dad says there's only one problem with retirement. No holidays.:biggrin:

Cheers

Ted:smile:
Common problem, "what day is it Baby":smile:

The first year or so I missed the people and the respect I got from being over a large organization. That went by and I have never looked back. Retirement is great.

Yes! I miss the respect generated by the organization of a multi year, multi million dollar project.

I'm not retired, but I can't wait to get there.:biggrin:

The grass is always greener!!!!:tongue::tongue:

I took my profession with me when I retired. I am oncology pharmacist who worked in the pharmaceutical industry. Knowing I would miss the every advancing science I started a part time consulting business. I consult to several cancers centers. It's a lot of fun being the head honcho and head schlep.

Les

Being a f/t parent (and doing a house over) isn't exactly 'retired' - but it is a major change from corporate and commuting. After 16 years it's starting to slow down a bit - the kids require less work and the house is nearing completion...... have my life split about half and half now between very different 'careers' - it's close to being time to think about the REAL retirement house!!! lol.

Don't miss the commute, miss the adult interaction at times. However my job was inhernetly frustrating - trying to 'improve' things and make them work better - usually when management didn't want to acknowledge just how much of a mess things were....lol. But I worked WITH some brilliant people and used some cutting edge technology - miss that as well.

But generally busier than I had been and getting more done. I used to say that I dealt with less 'poop' at home with small kids - and it cleaned up easier..... and my 3 year old learned faster than most VP's...... Now - with the oldest 16 and both bordering on absolutely brilliant, I'll say it was worth it - even with the teen angst. It's good having a parent around - too few families have the option. These are kids that really do have a chance to change the world in real ways. Frankly, most of what I did at work is moot at this point... companies die, things change. My kids are a far longer lasting legacy.

This is clearly NOT what I used to do and at times it is a bit 'isolating' - though I'm past the boring beyond belief stuck home with toddlers phase. Am a bit perturbed that Mom went and died early - she was supposed to be around for a bit - and able to watch the kids so I could join dw on some of those business trips but that's life.... you deal with it all.

Have gotten involved with a number of volunteer efforts and charities.... you 'give back' - that is satisfying. Something to think about if you have extra time on your hands...... find something that fits your talents - I do some work with Habitat and other groups rehabbing housing and am a volunteer with some youth groups.

I taught elementary school for 38 years and have been retired one year. I miss a class of kids but nothing else. I enjoy the time to do things and be lazy. My wife just retired and that is an added bonus.

I retired from teaching high school two years ago. And like Allan, I miss the interaction with the students (not the other crud that goes along with the job). Most of all I miss coaching (soccer) - talk about immediate feedback for your efforts and, a-h-h, the adrenalin rush of competition!:biggrin:

S

scooptdoo

man i prey for the day i can retire.12 more years and im there.its music to my ears to hear positives from retirees.im SO looking forward to "dropping out" and tunning in every day to my digital photograghy and post processing.i feel i really have a good use for this computer now insted of surfing and hanging at sites like this here.

I was a college professor (engineering) for 29 years, after spending 5years as an instructor while on active duty in the Navy, and 3.5 more years in grad school. So my work life was really 37.5 years.

I was 61 and had not given retirement a thought 5 years ago when an attractive early retirement offer caught me blindsided. I considered the pros and cons for two agonizing months, but finally decided to go for it.

I have kept my hand in, so to speak, by continuing some research (unpaid) and publishing a few papers, and last AY I did do some teaching. So yes, I do miss some aspects of it, but the positives are very nice - especially not having the pressure to write research proposals to bring in $$$. I also do NOT miss the large classes - 60+ students in an auditorium classroom.

I would do it again given the choice.

I was offered early retirement at 50 and the package was too good to turn down. Took it with open arms and that was 10 years ago. Got myself a little part time job, still there and do not miss the commuting one little bit.

Being part time, I don't get sucked into the politics and point scoring that goes down. Never ceases to amaze me how I ever found the time to do all those jobs when I was working full time.

B

Bill N

Never ceases to amaze me how I ever found the time to do all those jobs when I was working full time.

Boy, that sure hits the nail on the head! I work part time driving truck a couple days a week local and a few times a year I'll take a load from Mi. to Az. or Fl. if things work out. I can't keep up with chores here at home now I was always behind when I was working 40-60 hours a week! I'm enjoying my extra time, mostly spent with my wife and kids (16/18). Some times I think my kids need me more now than they did when they were younger.

I've enjoyed all your posts, nice to see what others are doing with their extra time.

You younger guys... don't wish your life away. I swear, that last 10 years of working went by way too fast. Enjoy what you have when you have it. Time sure don't slow down the older you get. Reminds me of Stephan Kings "My little pony" short story.:eek:

Latest threads

Top Bottom