1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OT: Desperately Need Rental Help!

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleo68, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    So my husband was recently re-located to Concord, MA. and we have no idea where to rent. We used to live in Ashland, MA, but that's pretty far (40 mins). If anyone lives in that area or is familiar with a decent place to rent, please let me know! We have two young kids, so we can't just move into any old thing. Our max is $2,000 per month. Thanks so much.

2. that might be too low for Concord, you may want to look in Bedford which is pretty nice (I think natethomas lives there, he might be able to help if you PM him).

Farther west on Rte 2, Westford, Littleton, Acton, & Boxborough are nice towns. Might want to avoid Maynard, but Sudbury is nice. Lincoln is pricey. Lexington has a great rep for schools, but may also be very expensive.

Carlisle is a nice town, very rural and *may* be a little cheaper, but I'm doubting it.

That may be a start, but be forewarned for sticker shock :mad: 

3. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thanks. Yeah, I know about the sticker shock. That's one of the reasons we moved south. The entire northeast is like that. I hadn't thought of checking out Carlisle. I actually know someone who lives there. We've looked into Acton, but aren't having much luck.

4. if you go out to Boxborough, Harvard (surprisingly $$$)...or Stow, Bolton that might work. I'd avoid Hudson & Marlborough. Framingham has some nice areas, but some dodgy ones, too. I'm in Southborough, there are some rentals here and a good school system. But I think they'd be over $2k...

Northborough is worth checking out too.

5. If you consider Framingham, stay on the north side (ie north of the Rte 9 split). The south side...well, um, let's say it kept my Paramedic career interesting. :wink:

6. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    No. Likely wouldn't consider Framingham, but thanks for the info. We are, however, considering Natick. Luckily, my husband just found a short-term rental in Lincoln where he can rent weekly (actually surprisingly more affordable than a hotel or larger rental) for one room and breakfast. He'll start out doing a month-long stay, then make it week to week so we can move up there into a long-term rental. This will give us time to search for something we really want (and hopefully maybe get an offer or two for this house).

7. Cleo,
    As Chris said, I live in Bedford, which is right next to Concord. It's about 5 miles from Bedford to Concord Center on route 62. I ride my bike right through Concord every day on my way to work in Maynard (drive in the winter). Bedford is a nice community and the schools are good. Real estate is also relatively reasonable (compared with prices in the surrounding towns). I just did a quick search on boston.com and it looked like there were a few houses for rent for less than 2K.
    Let me know if I can help in any way.

8. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Great, thanks Nate! Appreciate the input.

9. my wife teaches 2nd grade in Natick, it's got some nice areas. Much less paramedic fodder than Framingham.

10. the_traveler

the_traveler

Mar 22, 2007
    en route
    Framingham must have changed a lot. I grew up there and then lived in Holliston when it was a small town and all the houses on the main street had to be white with black shutters.

11. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Not all of Framingham has changed, just some of it. There are parts that aren't so desireable I'm afraid. I don't know much about Holliston, but we almost moved there and it still seems like a sleepy little town to me.

12. that's where BostonRott lives now...it is a nice little town, a good college buddy of mine has lived there for 20 years...strong school system. Only 'downside' is you're pretty far from the major roads, just like Sudbury. You have to go through a town or two to get to the major roads which on a daily commute could take awhile. But you don't hear the highway at night :biggrin:

My town's a sleepy little town, <10k people (was less than 8k when I moved here 15 years ago). But getting very crowded, and a lot more biz development coming on Rte 9...

13. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Yeah, Holliston is a cute town. But I'm afraid it will be too far a commute to Concord. We almost moved there before going to NJ. Anyone know anything about the Sudbury/Wayland area school systems?

14. iLLMaCK

iLLMaCK Guest

wow, $2000 for rent is too little? lol
    tell the company to pay the rent then

15. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    take a look in marlboro, you should have some good luck there, i actually saw that there ar a couple houses for sale in that area for about 57K dont know nay mor ethan that thou. Concrd is very expensive to live in, to qualify for low income housing and these numbers were from about 7 years ago you had to make over 100K per year (i used to work in concord)

16. Wayland has long been a top school system. Not sure how hold your kids are but the Claypit school (elementary) has long commanded a premium in town.

Sudbury has been well regarded, but last year they failed to pass an override and had significant layoffs (20+ teachers).

The current issue of boston magazine ranks the school districts, not sure if it's all online but maybe your husband could grab one when he comes.

17. Cleo68

Cleo68

Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Great info. to keep in mind. Thanks!

18. pirahnah3

pirahnah3

Feb 22, 2008
    wuss-tah
    yes wayland and sudbury do ahve great schools and a great public works department (i kidn awork in those towns lol) but they are nice, just a bit expensive in places.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.