OT- Disposable digital cameras ???? Debate with bro-in-law.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Vernon t, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Or is nothing OT on this "general discussion" forum.

I just found this interesting.
    My brother-in-law showed up with his 3 y/o daughter and a couple of electronic toys that are new to me.

Pictured below:
    CVS pharmacy "disposable" digital camera and video camera.
    You "buy" it. They (CVS) get it back and print your shots and stick them on a CD. For the video I suppose you get a DVD?

The things have data ports of sorts on the end hidden under a sticker(shown).

My thought...I bet they download the data, get it to you and then re-plastic-shell the guts to the next techno-marvel purchaser.

Anybody know anything about this new market. Maker, MP, storage media, re-usability etc? I suspect reusability, bro-in-law says once and trashed.
    These two particular specimens were sent to accompany the niece to San Antonio this week. Were they wife's rather than my sis-in-laws I guarantee I'd have them in pieces by now. 8)

View attachment 12829

View attachment 12830

View attachment 12831

2. well I think it does say recycled or reused after use.....so I expect they probably replace the shell and keep the guts if they haven't been trashed, repackage and sell to the next person who doesn't realize getting a DSLR is way better than buying 20,000 disposables :)

3. Yes and no...I can't imagine how many gazzilion priceless family photos are lost to hard drive crashes, or, more likely...12 year olds at the "delete" key.

A lot of above average soccer-moms and scouting-dads are pretty well served by P&S cams with auto-CD production. CD's are admittedly not forever but they don't have a delete key.

I have 13 physician partners(presumed intelligent) and maybe two would be well served by a DSLR. About 5 are best with a disposikodak 35mm and a cigar box for the negatives. 4 or 5 are digicam competent and never listen to me when I say "back up your files".

4. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    There is something Zen about dispo cameras. You see, you click, you move on. There was a time between my growing lasitude with my film work and the emergence of affordable digital that I used dispo cameras, usually the panoramic type, almost exclusively. Here are some photos from that period, that have a special meaning:

[​IMG]

Oh yeah, yes, I think they recycle the digital guts. They even resuse as much of the film kind as possible.

5. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

6. Considering how many point and shoots have dropped in pricing and still offer all sorts of controls, I wonder how many of these things you could buy for say $300, and don't forget, you're still having to wait for the 'prints' after sending it in. They probably just clean up the body, new sticker and out it goes again. Just need to find a cable to match that port..... then you'd really be able to find out what the guts are.

7. who said you need that :)
    There's one way to find out....its called a hammer :twisted:
    if anyone gets the pics we could in theory figure out what res the thing is.

8. Harrison, I love your scientific way of dissecting things! *LOL* Remind me to not ask you to fix anything for me!! ;)
    Hopefully once you get the pics back on CD they'll still have the EXIF etc. so you can determine the original size, etc.

9. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
  10. Kodak EasyShare CX7300 is $84, the CVS is $20 for the camera and $11 for the pic processing and they KEEP the camera *LOL* For less than 3 CVS cameras, you've got a 3+MP camera with lots of features. I wonder how many CVS cameras will actually be sold. Of course, fooling the masses with gimmicks has survived for years!

11. About the camera I have shown.

They were bought by my sis-in-law and sent here with my bro-in-law and my 3 y/o niece.
    She has a Coolpix 8400 and a Sony DVD vid cam of some sort. She's not about to trust her husband with the good stuff.

No "fooling the masses" going on here. Sounds pretty astute of her IMHO! :wink:

Modern tech ingenuity here is filling a need, percieved or real. How many wil they sell. Hmmmm...maybe next-gen "disposables will hold 200 shots at 4MP and print at 15 cents at Costco. That would be pretty attractive to me to get for my teens.

12. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
  13. Too true, Vernon. Too bad they don't have them here in Canada as these would be the perfect answer to anyone reaching for my S3Pro and saying "can I use it?"

My comment was aimed more at the folks who don't have a digital camera and are buying these thinking that they're saving money. A sense of false economy. For your sis-in-law's purpose - PERFECT!!!!!

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Hey they serve thier purpose for those that use them..

Yes reused.

Yes many have played :>))))))))) with them.

15. My father has agreed to help me with the undertaking of converting one for my grandmother...he has soldering stuff and plenty of old cables lying around. Fun father-son bonding project, I think.

16. Very, very great idea, the father-son part.

Anybody member Heathkit.

The 40's to 60's were the heyday.
    Good to see this sort of activity flourishing.
    My dad was too busy supporting us to do this sort of thing, back in the 60's when I was in about 6th grade!
    I remember fantasizing about someday building an oscilloscope!

Enjoy.

Check this out:

http://www.heathkit-museum.com/hktest.shtml

17. Ah yes, Heathkit! And Allied Radio.

I spent way more time fantasizing from their catalogs than actually using a soldering iron.

Good memories.

Best wishes,

David

18. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL