1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

    If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OT: For real?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Cleo68, Sep 28, 2008.

  1. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    So my husband left for Lincoln, MA this morning. A week later than we originally planned. Last week, we just went to Chik Fil A for dinner with the kids while people were viewing our house for sale. We came home and went to a neighbors where our kids played with their kids. I had this pain that felt like a tightening in my chest or some major gas in my chest. It got to the point where it wasn't going away, so I asked the hubby to get me to the hospital. Long story short, I had to have emergency gall bladder surgery! I had a gall stone that lodged itself in some weird place. Had the surgery Friday evening and just got out of the hospital last night. So now here I am with my Stepmother (who flew down from NJ to help out) and my two young kids wondering what the heck I'm going to do trying to recover while my kids are going insane and my Stepmom will be somewhat uncomfortable here. My Mom has been in France for two weeks. So this basically sucks. Thanks for letting me vent!!! :frown:
  2. wow, glad to hear you are doing better!
  3. Wow, talk about a change of plans. Good thing you had the good sense to get to the hospital. Wishing you a speedy recovery.
  4. pirahnah3


    Feb 22, 2008
    well thru adversity we lear nso much more about ourselves and what we are caepable of. I wish you the sopeedyest recovery and all the best.
  5. Jester4176

    Jester4176 Guest

    Good to hear you're ok and recovering. My wife had gall bladder surgery 2 years ago. This after being hospitalized for a week on a liquid only diet after having pancreatitis caused by the gall stones getting lodged in the common bile duct. She recovered within a week after the surgery. Stilll have the pic of the gall bladder with stones around here somewhere...
  6. leahp26


    Apr 28, 2008
    Southern NH
    Hi Cleo - that must have been scary. I'm glad the surgery went well and best wishes for a speedy recovery and good move to MA.
  7. Glad your surgery went well! My husband just had his gall bladder removed in April. Seems this sort of thing is becoming increasingly common.
  8. Hang in there! You're going to be feeling great again soon :smile:. I just had mine out on Sept 12 after having a couple of really bad attacks (gallstones.) Afterward, the surgeon told me that if I hadn't elected to have it taken out, it would have been emergent before too long.

    The strange thing is, I feel better now than I have in years. The pain is gone, of course, but that was a short-term thing. The constant fatigue and lack of energy are also gone, which has been a pleasant surprise. I thought it was just normal to feel that way, flat-out exhausted all of the time, because I'm a mom going in 3 different directions at once, all of the time. Having that surgery (which seemed a rotten 40th birthday present at the time!) has turned out to be a very good thing.

    Rest...lots and lots of rest. Let others take care of you for awhile. If you try to do too much too soon, it will set you back (I speak from experience here!)
  9. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thank you guys. And Sommer - that is so interesting. .My white blood cell count was high and my bladder wasn't functioning at 100%. I wouldn't be surprised that if after I heal, I notice feeling much better as well. Lately, I have been totally exhausted and noticed some pressure in my bladder. Always chalked it up to my two previous pregnancies. I am actually relieved to have the darn thing out. I am very thankful it wasn't anything to do with my heart, etc. I've been feeling much better today, but I'll take your advice about not doing too much. I've been working a little on laundry and went to the store, but I'm definitely going to try to chill and have a nap for awhile. As you know with kids... it is VERY hard to slow down!
  10. Deep


    Sep 27, 2008
    Milton, ON
    That happened to me too - except mine wasn't gall bladder. I was admitted and after 6 days of MRI's, CT's, Ultra sounds and x-rays they didn't know what was wrong. Long story short - they went in for exploratory surgery and found my intestine had blocked itself (which is why it didn't show on the scans, it wasn't a foreign object, it was my intestine itself).

    The condition was called Meckles Diverticulum (sp?). It happens to 2% of the population and of the 2% that it does happen to, only 2% of that group needs it operated on!!

    Ended up spending 15 days in the hospital and a 8" incision mark from my belly button up!

    Take rest - luckily my son was still in my wife while this happened, so didn't have to watch a child...
  11. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    I finally broke down tonight and cried my eyes out. Realized my husband's 13 hours away and even though I'm here with my own kids, I can't even take care of them. I need my Stepmother's and Mother's help. I feel like a complete invalid. This is two abdominal surgeries for me in three years. And just as we're selling our house and my husband goes away?! Sorry to vent.
  12. A good cry can actually make you feel better afterwards.
    Tell your agent to change the MLS listing, and have showings only for one hour late in the day or very early in the evening. This limitation will give you a chance to relax and heal. Call all your girlfriends and maybe they can work on a schedule for taking your kids over to their house. That way, your MIL can spend her time just taking care of you. Hoping you heal quickly, and DO follow doctor's orders about resting and not picking up objects.
  13. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thanks Sandi. Yeah. I think the crying does help. In fact, I think I was in denial all day yesterday while I was running around doing errands and such. I woke up nauseus this morning. Probably over-did it yesterday. I slept nearly all day today. Luckily, my Stepmother has been a gem and is doing really well with the boys. I just hope I can heal pretty fast. I know it takes time, but I hate not being able to participate in anything let alone raise my own children. I appreciate the kind words of support.
  14. Cleo,

    My family and I will say a prayer that you have a speedy recovery and all gets back to normal for you.

    I have family in Vanceboro, NC. Not sure where Cary is, but just thought I would throw that out there.

    Take care of yourself.
  15. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thanks Ed. I appreciate all the support. It's just another one of those really tough times that seems like it takes forever to get through. Hopefully it won't.
  16. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Funny what happens. Today, Wednesday, my oldest came down with a high temp. I had to have my Stepmother bring him to the pediatrician. God only knows what it is. I guess you get to the point where you just shut down and there's only so much you can handle. When it rains it pours - it comes in 3s. For me, it comes in 5's to 10's.
  17. scooptdoo

    scooptdoo Guest

    i doubt GB surgery is becoming more common.im sure statisics would prove that.probably since you hub had it your more intune to noticing more .
  18. Oh, did you ever bring back memories! Within 2 weeks, I had 2 surgeries - one being the same as yours! As Moms, we just can't afford to get down, we're the caregivers, chaufers, cooks, maids, to put it really nicely - "Domestic Engineers" and no one can do our jobs like we can - I am so thrilled you're on the road to recovery! Here's hoping you won't have any more problems like that for years to come!
  19. Cleo68


    Jul 7, 2008
    Bedford, MA
    Thanks so much Dianne. It's insane isn't it?! And it just breaks my heart not to be there 100% for my kids - especially when they are sick. I keep trying to look at it like time is on my side. But these days, time just can't go fast enough! Thanks for your kind words.
  20. Many hugs, Cleo! It will get better. That's how it goes for awhile....you think you feel better, do a few things (sometimes too much), and then sleep the entire next day. Eventually, you start to sleep less the next day, but it's a slow process...a frustratingly slow process! I broke down more than once, because I was just so darned sick of being sick! I had my surgery on 9/12, and I'm just now able to handle my normal schedule on most days. Some days, I still have to nap...like yesterday. I spent 2.5 hours on a walkabout with the city managers talking about street construction plans, and it was cold and rainy, and it just exhausted me.

    It's so hard, not being able to be there for your kids. I actually had my 9-year-old daughter taking care of me in the first days post-surgery, when my husband had to go back to work. We put homeschool on hold for a few days, and she had to play servant and nurse to Mom! In retrospect, it wasn't a bad thing, and it was only for a short time. At the time though, I felt terrible about not being able to take care of her, the way it's supposed to be!

    Keep resting and taking care of you. Your boys and their grandmas are benefitting from spending time together.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.