OT - hemispheric influence on drains

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Chris101, May 25, 2005.

1. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    In another thread, the subject of drain rotation by hemisphere came up. I have been running an internet poll for nearly a decade on this subject. The Cafe has a good spread of geographical locations, so your data will be usefull.

If you would like to contribute data to the project, here is a link to do that:
    http://chemlab.pc.maricopa.edu/drainintro.html

If you have an opinion on this non-photographic subject, say it here.

2. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Yeah,

I thought that was neat :>)))

CW

3. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
  4. I ask every Australian I meet . . .

. . . if the water down there goes the opposite way from here.

They always ask me which way it goes here and I can never remember.

Mike

5. Sure wish I had this much time on my hands!! *LOL* Chris, you obviously aren't being totally utilized at home, so come on over, bring your toolbox, I've got a humungous Honey-Do jar you can start with and I'll feed ya!! *LOL*

I don't have time to watch which way the toilet flushes because at that particular moment, the phone is always ringing!! *LMAO* (Murphie's Law)

6. I forgot . . .

. . . that you asked people to contribute their opinions.

OK, here it is:

My opinion is that you should pay to fly me somewhere nice south of the equator so I can check this out.

Happy to contribute.

Mike

7. All of these links are meaningless anyway. While I normally agree with Snopes, I just can't believe how they could say this. I mean EVERYBODY knows this is true, why would anybody want to believe an empirical experiment and the word of scientific-types anyway, huh? Next thing you are going to try to tell me is that when we were in Australia we really didn't need to have velcro on the bottom of our shoes so we wouldn't fall off either. They had a special booth when we landed at the airport, just to fix up the shoes of the people coming in. It was a bit more difficult when we were on the beaches in the Barrier Reef. Bare feet, don't you know........

nudge-nudge- :wink: :wink:

8. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Ha! Thanks y'all!!

Gale, thanks!

Chris Palmer, I've got those two pages plus a bunch more in the 'about' section of the drain site. I wanted to specifically TEST the assertion, rather than just rely on the "because I said so" logic so many scientists and engineers use. An experiment is so much more convincing than all the statements in the world, doncha think?

Mike, notice I have little data from the equator and the south pole. So where do you want the one way tickets (you'll be responsible for your own return) to, the Sudan or Antartica?

Sandi, I have a weird day job. I actually get paid for this kind of stuff, and besides I programmed this 9 years ago. :|

Bill, Bill, Bill. Everybody knows Austrailians walk around on their hands so up still looks like up to them. This does confuse right and left though, so that is where the drain confusion comes from, I think.

Everybody else - C'mon! I need DATA!!!

;)

9. gho

gho

Feb 7, 2005
    California
    Did I spark a little somthing in you, Chris? :D

Well, you know my toilet spins counter-clockwise. I'll email my friend in Australia to see which way her toilet spins and let you know.

10. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Gregory, you asked (in the other thread) why this was (one of) my mission. The about page in the program tells why, and yes, this is a continuation of that conversation. I felt it should get its own thread, so as not to interfere with all that NvC stuff.

11. cmpalmer

cmpalmer

Jan 27, 2005
    Huntsville, AL
    That's cool and I wholeheartedly agree with the idea of using experimental data to support an assertion. As a matter of fact, Mythbusters on Discover is one of my favorite TV shows.

12. See, here you go, trying to perpetuate yet another myth, walking on their hands indeed, give me a break Mate. Believe me, having been there, there is no way I could walk on my hands for a 3 week holiday, let alone my wife.

Now, you are correct, however, about the "left-right" thing. :wink:

On to your data, however, the first toilet I flushed in Australia was air powered and the water just flushed straight down, no swirl at all. That one really screws the pooch, eh?

13. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi bill-

what did they use before velcro was invented? buttons and hooks must have been terribly inconvenient to fasten and unfasten at every step. 8)

14. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    This is fun...

Come on moreeeeeee !!!!!!