1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OT - How can I remove this broken screw?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Pa, Feb 11, 2019.

1. D75_0613.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Trying to replace a hinge on a kitchen cabinet door I applied too much pressure and sheared the screw off near the head. :banghead: 

I have to use that screw hole to mount the new hinge, so it's gotta come out.

Any innovative ideas?

2. Yuck Jim. Do you think you could get a screw extractor in there?

3. Thanks, Rick. I don't think I've ever seen a screw extractor that small.

4. Thing is, if the screw snapped, either the screw was defective and weak or what's left in there is stuck so bad you're gonna have problems getting it out. Best of luck.

5. Get a reverse twist drill bit and a variable speed drill. Work at it slowly.

• Agree Agree x 3
  6. Thanks, guys. I have a friend in the neighborhood who is a pretty good cabinet builder. He's volunteered to help me this afternoon.

7. Bingo (y). You know this all leads up to cocktail time:) .

• Like Like x 1
  8. We need to recruit a larger Drinking Support Team so that the burden does not fall on just a few. :cool: 

9. YEAH!
    As we "talk" i'm listening to Kerry, our contractor, demolish our master bath. After 30+ years it's time to upgrade! Just glad it's not me doing the work. Kerry and his partner, Josette, are good friends, and a couple weeks ago we all had a great big meal and 7+ bottles of good wine :D  over a 6 hour period.

10. You'd NEVER keep up with me Nick.

11. Better get a "pre-need" plan for your liver. :rolleyes: 

12. You're a pro! Besides, our company had to work at 8 am the next day :eek: :eek: :eek: 

13. Problem solved
    D75_0615.jpg

Drilled it out and replaced it with a dowel. Not the most elegant solution, but should work fine.

You guys can help me celebrate now. :) 

• Like Like x 3
  14. I'm most definitely up to that challenge. You got the screw out and I'll be sure to get the cork out. :ROFLMAO: 

15. Just when I've successfully been losing weight, you're trying to convince me to gain weight.

16. I think a screw-top would be the appropriate thing to open in this case! Cheers.

17. Agreed.
    Malbec.jpg

• Winner Winner x 1
  18. Looks good, Doug, and beautifully photographed.

Mrs. T. is fixing green chili chicken enchiladas tonight, so I'll be having grain-based libations.

19. Whoa, Doug! You should be presenting your wine photography here on a regular basis!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.