OT: How much should I tip the attendant at the full-serv gas station?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by sommer, May 21, 2007.

1. I've never been to the full-serv before, opting to go a few blocks farther to save a few cents a gallon, but I've been running on fumes for so long that I'll be lucky to make it 2 blocks to the full-serv today :biggrin:! And I was rather young the last time my dad went through a full-serv, so I can't recall what proper etiquette is with regard to tipping! Is the tip built into the slightly higher price, or should I tip on top of that? I don't want to stiff a serviceperson on a tip, yet with the amount it's going to cost to fill my tank, I'm not anxious to part with more than I have to, lol!

2. I didn't realize those still existed but I do know the fuel costs are higher for a reason... :wink:

3. Back in the days of only FS I never tipped and it never crossed my mind to do it.
    I don't know why it should be different today.
    Do you tip the shoe salesman who brings out several shoes for your to try? Of course not, he's doing his job.

IMO tipping is way out of hand.

Don

4. sbutchin

sbutchin

Mar 1, 2005
    NJ
    In NJ all of our stations have attendants that pump, they prefer you didn't - I have never tipped anyone for pumping my gas - I really have never heard of such a thing - and I didn't start driving yesterday:smile:

5. Yeah, I actually get my gas in NJ all the time since I work across the river, and all pumps are full service by law. It's actually cheaper in NJ with full service then self service is in PA. But the law is on the books here in NJ to create the jobs.

I don't ever tip at full service since I usually pay with my credit card, but if I'm paying cash (or it's cold/rainy out) then I'll usually give them a buck.

6. Hyper-Performance

Hyper-Performance

Apr 11, 2007
    SW Ohio, USA
    Dave
    The only time I ever tip is if they do it in the nude!

7. Baywing

Baywing

Feb 22, 2005
    CT USA
    I've never heard of tipping a gas attendant. I worked at several gas stations many years ago, the only tip we might get would be around X-mas time, but nothing on a regular basis.

8. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I believe in Oregon,by state law, you are not allowed to pump your own gas. And tipping is built-in to the price.

- Jay

9. Blair

Blair

Jul 28, 2006
    Oregon
    I have the unfortunate situation of living in Oregon where we cannot pump our own gas. I usually get out of the car and watch them do it. No way I am tipping the methheads that work at gas stations around here.

10. Billy Ng

Billy Ng

Jan 22, 2007
    Hartsdale, NY
    Of course they do .... it's illegal in NJ for you to pump your own gas and they can be heavily fined if you are caught doing it. The rule is scarcely enforced by the police, but it scares the station owners enough.

11. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    I tip my mechanics and my tire guys.
    They allways treat me very well and are very nice and HONEST...

Yeah... Suprise suprise.

There was one station left on cocoa beach that was full service. I always gave the guy a buck:>))))
    Ya know, wash the windows and check all the fluids in the car and check the tires:>)) Smiled and said thanks.

Extra , or even a decent pay was not offered by the owner. They usually only make minium wage.

12. Couldn't agree more... I love all these places popping up all over town with the clear tip cans by the register for people to drop their change into. Like I'm going to tip you for not smiling, not asking me "can I help you" and moving 3 feet to get the food I ordered. A tip..... HA!

I just about aspirated a nice big drink of water... :tongue:

13. jaymc

jaymc Guest

I once walked into a Starbucks, sat down and waited for someone to take my order. No one did ... :frown:.
    If I gotta get in line, pay $3.05 usd for a cup of coffee and pay someone who gets confused when I give them a $5 bill and a nickel; why should they expect a tip!
    Or am I just getting grouchy in my old age!

- Jay :rolleyes:

14. I just find it funny that a person is paid to do a job and then you feel that you have to pay them extra to their job correctly.... Go Figure.....

Fortunately in Australia the "Norm" is not to tip and only some people who try to impress will tip usually in very expensive restaurants.

But then again the min wage here is about $12-13 mark and these people who work after hours (not between 7am-6pm weekdays) get penalty rates (usually 1.5 to 2 times the hourly rate) so they earn a good living and are being paid to do their job correctly in odd hours. So if they have a problem with their wage, they should negotiate with their employer not the customer to supplement their wage ...

Thats just my 2 bits worth... And thats with not tip....:rolleyes:...

15. Thanks for the responses! Around here a full-serv station is a rarity, so I wasn't sure what to do. I think I'm going to keep using that station, so if I see the same person over and over, I may give a tip around the holidays.

Lately, I'm a bigger tipper than usual. The economy is flaming rotten here, and the financial strain is so great for so many that I try to give a little extra when I can.

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Minimum wage here is 6.67
    You can't live one on it
    A waitress or bartender is making just a bit over 3.00 an hour.

17. Schnauzermom

Schnauzermom

Apr 13, 2007
    Michigan
    That explains the reaction we got in NJ when we pumped the gas...guy came FLYING out of the station.....

18. Hi Gale....
    That may be so, but is it the customers fault that they are being paid that. Also if the minimum wage is $6.67, how come the waitress are only being paid $3/hr.??? Personally I feel for these people that are being "used & exploited" by their employer's, but tipping is only a band aid for them, they should be doing something about it, and I don't know the correct answer to solve it and is another story altogether.

As I said, what ever the wage they have accepted, it's the job that they are being paid to do and you paid to receive goods (whether food or what ever). If thats the case then how many have tipped the UPS or FedEx guy when they delivered you new camera gear, or gave a tip to the guy who just sold you a new lens over a counter, their providing a service or just the guy down at Home Depot that just ran all over the shop to get something for you and helped you put it in your car...????... Sorry I just don't see the difference between the sevice you get in a restaurant or any other place and what someone gets paid should be a reason to tip.... If you believe that this person has gone well over what was expected of them, and you wanted to show your gratitude, then this should be the only reason to tip, and I have done this plenty of times before... BTW, I did live in California for 5 years in the 90's.....:smile:

19. No need to tip Sommer! As stated above here in Jersey we're not allowed to pump...I think the attendant would be shocked if he received a tip :)

Anthony

20. Neither here in Italy you have to tip the attendant: you can choose if filling-it-yourself while saving 5 cents per litre (more or less) or paying the full gas / diesel price at the served pump. Usually, if you are entirely filling the tank, they offer you to clean both front and rear windshield, as unfortunately do also poor people at the city lights in major cities for some cents.