OT: How to clean bugs off your car with out needing surgery afterwards/....

Its bug season just about everywhere, and I figured I would help everyone out, especially you poor souls about to be infested with the them cicadas or whatever they are.

You need three things:
A soft towel ( relative to the size of area you need to clean)
a bucket w/ soapy water
a beer ( or Ice tea for our non imbibing cafe members)

fill the bucket with soapy water, soak the towel in said soapy water, DO NOT wring it out..... lay the soaked towel over the bug affected area and pat it flat so it makes good contact with the bug offended surface.Now leave it there. Open your beverage of choice and watch the nighbors or tinker in the garage for about 5 minutes. Gently wipe off the dead bugs. Thats it. The bugs will soften nicely in the soapy water, allowing you to wipe them away. A full bath towel will clean them off a windshield in 5 minutes...sure beats scrubbing em off !!!!

Learned this when i was a helicopter mechanic. You havent seen a mess till you see love bugs splattered at 180 mph.... hope this helps everyone :)

2 nice things to try as my car is getting covered already. I like the first one better though as it entails a frosty beverage :biggrin:

Three words - Pressure Washer & Beer. Or if they are muddy & covered with bugs 4 words - Sprinkler, Pressure Washer & Beer. :biggrin:

I just dodge the bugs while I'm driving, that way I can enjoy the beer when I get home without worrying about having to work after enjoying it!

Sounds ok for Indianapolis but in Florida, love bugs laugh at that option, then they drink your beer. I use this and started after I bought a new truck with a pinted grill, not chrome. When it is completely clean, apply Collinate 845. When the bugs hit, you can wait days. Wash off most with hose and then use the soapy method with sponge. The bounce thing comes in handy when wet, I throw it int he wash bucket. It will take the bugs right off and wash off with the water. Or if car is dry, wet the bounce and take the bugs off, then when the white softner stuff dries, it will wipe right off with towel. NO scratches or marring of paint. I was very particular when I bought the truck and knew bugs would be difficult but this works great.

Great thread! I was putting off washing the lovebugs off my car after a road trip from last week. In the past I have removed them by using a water hose, sponge and plastic spatula. My biggest reason for procrastinating is that the sun out here in SW Florida feels like I'm an ant under a magnifying glass! It is brutally hot out here and I'm starting to believe that we no longer have an ozone layer over my neighborhood.

Latest threads

Top Bottom