Which smart phone would you choose?

• Samsung Galaxy S2

Votes: 2 8.0%
  • Google Nexus 4

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • Samsung Galaxy S3

Votes: 16 64.0%

• Total voters
I don't need anything fancy, but I can't decide which phone to get. My wife has an iPhone 5, but I've decided I want to try an Android phone out. I really don't want to spend much on the phone and have been thinking of going the Ebay route and buy one that is already unlocked since I'll probably use it for international travel. I also want a minimum of an 8mp camera. I've narrowed it down to the Samsung Galaxy S2, the Google Nexus 4 or the Samsung Galaxy S3. If I go with either Galaxy phone, I'll probably just buy straight from Ebay since they're cheaper than going with my phone provider. If I go with the Nexus 4 I'll go with my phone provider since they have a pretty good rate with them.

The S3 is probably the best spec'ed of the 3 phones, but the most expensive up front. the Nexus 4 has about the same specs of the S3, but does not have the removable battery or upgradable memory and is priced right in the middle. The S2 is the least spec'ed, but the cheapest of the 3 phones. Which would you go for?

The Samsung Galaxy S4 will be on store shelves in a week, so the S3 will probably get very cheap.

DAB

I'm about to upgrade too and after a lot of research I'm going for a Sony Xperia. The S3 and S4 are great but I've heard bad things about battery life and I hate having to charge my phone every evening. I have heard that you are lucky if you even last until the evening at all on the Samsung.

The S2 has been free for awhile on most carriers for upgrades. The S3 has been as low as $9.99 - look for that to go lower after full S4 launch. BTW, which carrier? I dont recommend buying from Ebay or Clisters unless you want to avoid extending your contract. Look around the web for competitive prices. I just saw the Nokia 928 Win phone. Not on your list but very impressive C. Zeiss lens and HD movies + Dolby sound.

I really like the S3, but if I were to go Android, I'd go Google Nexus series; they are unlocked by default and you will get all the Android upgrades without being at the mercy of the telco.

I TRIED the Galaxy S4. Didn't work out for me. I really liked the size, but for the life of me I could NOT figure out the nuances of the phone!!!!! Spent the better part of three hours on the computer trying to figure it out, and STILL couldn't.

I guess being so used to the OS on my iPhone did me in when trying to switch to android.

As soon as you said you did not get it, I knew you had an iPhone. I think both can be easy/confusing to learn but not as difficult as moving from one to another.

I'm about to upgrade too and after a lot of research I'm going for a Sony Xperia. The S3 and S4 are great but I've heard bad things about battery life and I hate having to charge my phone every evening. I have heard that you are lucky if you even last until the evening at all on the Samsung.

Not true at all. I have had the S4 for a few weeks now. The S4 goes pretty much all day long on a charge. Of course, Unlike many other phones if you are a real bad serial talker/texter/emailer you can swap the battery on the S4 in a few seconds. Do you sleep with the phone and can't bare to charge it at night?

Not true at all. I have had the S4 for a few weeks now. The S4 goes pretty much all day long on a charge. Of course, Unlike many other phones if you are a real bad serial talker/texter/emailer you can swap the battery on the S4 in a few seconds. Do you sleep with the phone and can't bare to charge it at night?

Yes, 'pretty much all day long on a charge' is what I meant when I said you were lucky to last until the evening so you have just backed up what I have heard and read elsewhere. But as you say, you could always carry around a spare battery just in case :wink:

Yes, 'pretty much all day long on a charge' is what I meant when I said you were lucky to last until the evening so you have just backed up what I have heard and read elsewhere. But as you say, you could always carry around a spare battery just in case :wink:

All day for me means from 6am until about 10 pm at night.

All day for me means from 6am until about 10 pm at night.

0530 to 23.30 for me. My existing contract has unlimited data so I use my aging Nokia for several hours a day just for data alone. I usually charge it every three days or so but it has never run out completely. If I didn't hate Symbian so much I wouldn't change it but my contract is up imminently and I need a bigger screen and would like to move to Android to link up with my tablet. Battery life on the Sony Xperia I have ordered won't be as good as the Nokia but is still pretty good by all accounts.

As soon as you said you did not get it, I knew you had an iPhone. I think both can be easy/confusing to learn but not as difficult as moving from one to another.

HAHAHAHA. That's exactly what the guy at the AT&T store said to me when I returned it!!!

He said coming from the iPhone to the Android would be hard because you have to learn the totally new and different OS.

I'm seventy and transitioning from three iPhones to the Android was not difficult. For me it was refreshing; I was frustrated by the limitations of iOS. I use the file management features all the time.

I'm seventy and transitioning from three iPhones to the Android was not difficult. For me it was refreshing; I was frustrated by the limitations of iOS. I use the file management features all the time.

So what are you trying to say Rich????:eek::biggrin: LOL

The problem I was having was setting up my Apps and notifications on the Galaxy the same way I had them set on my iPhone. I tried and tried, and even looked for help online and couldn't find any. So I went back to my iPhone, (with no regrets).

So I went with the Nexus 4. I don't need the media features of the Galaxy phones. The Nexus 4 was a lot cheaper through my phone provider. I also like the fact how well integrated it is with the Google apps system. It's also factory unlocked which I like if I do any international travel. I compared it to my wife's iPhone 5, and comparing the two, the iPhone feels less impressive. The screen on the Nexus is big and bright and the interface is very clean. No complaints so far!

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom