OT: London

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike mac, Jul 7, 2005.

1. My heartfelt condolences for all those in London both victims and citizens in this time of tragedy.

2. Yes - me too.

Prayers for our friends in London.

3. eng45ine

eng45ine

May 11, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I don't understand terrorism...this violence stuff amazes me. How do these people wake up each day and set out to induce bodily harm on innocent people? I watch a fair amount of news on television and I am awestruck by constant reporting of terrorism around the globe...I am truly fearful for what my children will face in their lives.

Can't we just all get along???

4. My most sincere condolences to those in London and surrounds who have been affected by this cowardly act. Having visited London many times it is especially meaningful to me.

The husband of my wife's best friend died in flames in the Pentagon on 9/11 leaving a widow and three children. These innocent people have perished at the hands of the same religious zealots which have enslaved women and children across the world in the name of God. Nothing changes, it seems, when people feel they "know" what God wants for us.

Rich :cry:

5. It all makes very little sense. My employer has a couple of offices in London and there are people there that I talk with on a daily basis, thankfully they are all OK.

Once again innocent lives are lost to religious fanatics, the world stands back in collective shock and then moves on again.

What makes it worse is the massive high that the UK felt yesterday in being granted the Olympics in 2012 and to then be plunged into the lowest of lows at this mindless act.

I feel cold, numb, I'm going home to my wife and kids. Don't really feel like taking any pictures today.

6. I too feel terrible for the people of London who have to go through this terrible bombing and aftermath. This all makes so little sense to target innocent civilians. My condolences to the families and friends of those that were killed this day and to all the injured as well.

7. Brew

Brew Guest

My heart also goes out to our FRIENDS in London and Britain!!! They've stood by the US and we stand by them!!! :(

I could go on a rant regarding our leaders that just love to trash the treatment of prisoners at Gitmo (unfounded to say the least) but I won't but lets just keep them there till they rot.

Another scary thought is the number of Arab illegals crossing the Mexican border being picked up and released. The number is upwards of 700,00!!!

OK enough of that, sorry. God Bless Britain!!!

8. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    [​IMG]

I'm heart sick.

9. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    No doubt this thread was for heartfelt condolences for all those in London. Very appropriate.

My interest quickly moved to the many other comments. Picking out a few.

"I don't understand terrorism...this violence stuff amazes me. How do these people wake up each day and set out to induce bodily harm on innocent people?

I am awestruck by constant reporting of terrorism around the globe..
    Can't we just all get along???

It all makes very little sense.
    I feel cold, numb, I'm going home

This all makes so little sense to target innocent civilians."

Generally speaking and not just here, there seems to be so many people that do not understand terrorism. And I'm not going to do the education in a few words. I sense that there are a few others here besides myself that are schooled trained and experienced to some level in counter-terrorism matters. I wonder if it would do any good to do more general public education on terrorism. I'll give the news media credit for at least trying.

The two comments that I do want to comment on-

"Can't we just all get along???"
    Sure we can. If you are willing to give up your way of life and submit to the lifestyle that the terrorist want you to live. They don't like your lifestyle and are dedicated to wiping it out. Now, what do you want to do? The terrorist are very serious about their cause.

"I feel cold, numb, I'm going home." Understandable and a very mild reaction to a terrorist act. Very mild but very real. A mild reaction for what is a reason for using terrorism. Cause-Effect.

10. Truly a tragic day for Britain and heartbreaking for the rest of us.

But for the grace of god........

11. Larry, it's religious fanaticism. My other "hobby" is reading about history. I'm finishing a book about Johannes Kepler's life. He was a Lutheran in a Catholic part of Czechoslovakia during the beginning of the 30 years war. Each religion took their turns raping and pillaging people of the other "heresy." No punishment was too bad for people who corrupted the word of God. ALL sides are wrong when it comes to deciding what the real word of GOD is and "punishing" heretics. Go back as far as you want; people were killing their neighbors in the name of God or whatever diety you want to name since before recorded history.

Reminds me of a friend of mine, a very irreverent but honest and just individual, who was visited at his house by a couple of pious prosetlyzers. "Do you know the cause of evil in the world?" one of them asked. "Sure," he said...."religious zealots." This was in the 1970's but how correct he was.

Rich

12. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    Hi Rich. I should have put quotes around some of those comments (went back and added quotes). They are not mine.

You have named some of terrorism history but not all. Islamic radicals are the current biggie that I was referring to that does put it in the name of a religion.

Terrorism is a method, tool, or technique or however one wants to describe it. But not exclusively to a religion or religious fanaticism.

13. Well, I just got my priorities back in order. I lurked in a thread at DPR about the bombing. Apparently it's all Blair's fault.

Thank all of you folks here who show empathy and understanding....and civility to others no matter what your personal political views....well, ALMOST all of you.

Rich :wink:

14. Larry Gleason

Larry Gleason

Jan 26, 2005
    I'm glad I missed the Blair at fault post. But then again, have not been to DRP in many weeks. Too bad there is not a special fund to send stupid people with their stupid causes to go meet with the terrorist and tell them that we all need to get along. A lot of heads would be handed back in their laps and still more would be in line to get on the bus to make the trip. This is not directed to anyone here. I had in mind a small group that I photographed last week as they held up their little signs.

....personal political view..... good opening to another type of group known through history using terrorism.

15. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    With great sadness I learned about the London terror attacks on TV. Some of the scenes I saw are too familiar to me.

My condolences to the relatives, friends and colleagues of the victims and my heartfelt sympathy with the Londoners.

It was only yesterday, when taking pictures at the Tel Aviv beach, that I walked up to a nearby memorial for the terror victims of a suicide attack back in 2001. Some twenty people - nearly all of them in the teens - died at that night. Later yesterday night I saw (again) an Israeli TV documentary on survivors of terrorism as well as on teenage suicide bombers who were caught before they were able to blow themselves in a crowd and who are sitting now in prison.

I'm glad about Larry Leason's posting here, picking out some other comments on how difficult it is to understand such acts of seemingly utter disregard to mankind. It took me quite some years to get perhaps a glimpse of understanding of what is happening here.

"The cause justifies the means" may be a term that can apply here. For many Islamic fundamentalists, decadent western countries are waging a crusade on their people or their Muslim brothers. To them, our western democratic societies are the source of all evil. Our culture is so different from theirs that they certainly find it difficult to appreciate us, to term it mildly. Unfortunately the western media is also - perhaps involuntarily or unaware - nurturing their disgust of the way we live and the achievements we cherish. To bring just some food for thought, here is the answer of the then 14 year old suicide bomber who, sometime after his capture, answered to the question why he wanted to blow himself up: "I wanted to go to heaven as a martyr and have 70 women (wives)". Walls in Palestinian towns are covered with posters of suicide bombers, praising them as martyrs for the cause of God and the people. For many, this is the highest honor and achievement.

Unfortunately most Arab people have practically now way to know it different. According to a relatively recent UNDP study (The Arab Human Development Report, see ), no more than 10,000 books were translated into Arabic over the entire past millennium, equivalent to the number translated into Spanish each year. In recent years it amounts to around 250 books a year. Even Israel is outnumbering this by far, with only 6 million Hebrew speakers compared to around 300 million Arab speakers.

These are only a few of the many aspects of the struggle between the two cultures, as Bassam Tibi may coin it (I strongly recommend his books on Islamic fundamentalism and terrorism - he warned about the danger of terrorism hitting the western world back in 1993/4).

I agree with Larry that there should be more education on fundamentalism and terrorism, hopefully without creating prejudice against Arabs in general. I have lived through the times of hope for peace here in Israel, when Palestinians were on their way to self-determination, and have seen the abrupt halt and negation of all the peace efforts when the second "Intifada" broke out. The sudden outbreak of violence among a broad majority of young Palestinians - when they were so close to having their own state - made me often wonder what went wrong, or better, what did we do wrong? One thing - which I believe has been a critical impetus to this development - was the grossly antisemitic / anti-Jewish education which young Palestinians received during the six years of autonomy (something that has been overlooked until it was too late). Ironically, the European Union paid for these anti-semitic school books as part of their aid program to the Palestinian people. Similar anti-Israeli and/or anti-western education and propaganda can be found in many of the Arab countries.

It needs a great effort from all of us to help build a bridge to the Arab culture and to teach ways of mutual respect. However, I would not tolerate the total disrespect of those fanatics towards our achievements and democratic values, however fragile and incomplete these may be at times. No appeasement with terrorists!

Again my sympathies to those who have had to endure the nightmare of terror.

16. GaryW

GaryW Guest

Ich bin ein Londoner.

God Bless you.

17. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Just found this thread.

I too send my condolences.

God Bless.

18. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    My heartfelt sorrows and support go to our friends and allies in the United Kingdom. Stand tall, and we will stand with you. My hand goes out across the water to all of you, but especially those from the UK on this board whom I feel I have come to know.

You are not alone!

19. Being Canadian, we are supposed to be the peace-keepers of the world - this is a terrible burden.

I'm afraid when history books report this world a thousand years from now, all the books will say is "they warred". Why does human kind war against itself - I will never understand this. It's almost enough to make me be ashamed to say I'm a human being.
    Maybe this is why we search so long for the beauty in life, and try to capture it in a photog - we are try to bring back balance against the ugly. My heart is heavy.

20. Thoughts and prayers for all of UK!!!! :cry: