OT: Matt Smith to quit role as Doctor Who

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...-quit-Doctor-Who-after-Christmas-special.html Eventually this will be interesting because if I recall correctly according to the original scripts the Doctor only has 13 regenerations. I've enjoyed Matt Smith; "The Doctor and Vincent" is our favorite episode. I recently had the pleasure of visiting the van Gogh museum and Rijks Museum in Amsterdam. We've also been to the Orsay museum in Paris, the site of that particular episode and seen his works there as well.

All my grand children are hooked on the show. With every new episode they congregate at our place to watch it on our big screen. I have (I think) every known episode going all the way back to the first Doctor episode shown the week after John Kennedy was assassinated in 1963.

Time for new blood, he was starting to get on my nerves.

For me it wasn't so much Smith but the overall writing. You might as well called this season "Clara and the Doctor." The typical Steven Moffat turn of the plot in the final episode tied it up well but that magic white spinning timeline into which both stepped and the convenient mysterious connectivity between Clara and River were hard to buy. Still it's a far better Sci-Fi show than anything else on TV.

I'm almost certain Hurt is a tease, but he would make a fascinating doctor, wouldn't he?

I want to see Jason Statham as the Doctor. :) Unfortunately cant watch Who alot since PBS keeps pre-empting it for their auctions. At a friends house, who has BBCA, it wasnt on tonight on that channel either. Started watching it again when Tennant was the Doctor. Never seen any of the Eccelstone episodes.

As long as the BBC doesn't think it's time to have a woman Doctor (and it wouldn't surprise me if they did), then I don't care who is next. I imagine it will be another relative unknown.

Here is the latest discussion on this vital question.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-22745398
A woman seems quite likely, and/or black, according to this article.
Good idea. After 11 white men in a row surely we need a change to better reflect our diverse population.

They are called Time Lords for a reason :wink:

And the BBC doesn't need to reflect our diverse population in everything it does. They don't have to bow and scrape to New Labour anymore to guarantee the licence fee.

Indeed, that character is a Time Lady - Doctor Who is a Time Lord. I'm no expert (haven't really watched it since Tom Baker) but I don't think they can change sex during regeneration. It can be written in of course but the fan base around the world is mainly made up of purists who would doubtless disapprove :wink:

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/doctor-who-woman/ (written by a woman)

:smile:

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Indeed, that character is a Time Lady - Doctor Who is a Time Lord. I'm no expert (haven't really watched it since Tom Baker) but I don't think they can change sex during regeneration.

Easy. If you regenerate into a woman you become a Time Lady. If you regenerate again into a man you become a Time Lord again. Until you get used to your new sex you have a bit of cross-dressing. That should improve the ratings. I should be writing the scripts...

I have mixed feelings about regeneration of the character. Certainly since it is science fiction why couldn't the character regenerate into a woman or someone non caucasian? None, really I suppose. However this is a fictional story about a particular character. I don't see a justifiable requirement to recast the nature of the protagonist to reflect the ethnological breakdown of the earth. Imagine making that same demand of fictional writers across the spectrum. Should it be done now because the series has become popular?

Recently I saw a spoof of the Doctor in which he does regenerate into a woman. Hugh Grant was one of the regenerations but the last was Joanna Lumley, who appeared in the Absolutely Fabulous series. She runs off with the Master. :biggrin:

Indeed, that character is a Time Lady - Doctor Who is a Time Lord. I'm no expert (haven't really watched it since Tom Baker) but I don't think they can change sex during regeneration. It can be written in of course but the fan base around the world is mainly made up of purists who would doubtless disapprove :wink:

http://www.wired.com/geekmom/2012/07/doctor-who-woman/ (written by a woman)

:smile:

One vote for Helen Mirren!:smile:

Dr What, the Time Person :rolleyes:

There you go discriminating in favor of humanoids..what about animals and robots? Come to think of it it might be interesting to have the doctor struggling with a cyberman when he regenerates and become 'Doctor What' for a few seasons.

You all need to hand in your geek cards for not recalling the reference to transgender regeneration in The Doctor's Wife!:

DOCTOR: 'There are no Time Lords left in the universe, but the universe isn't where we're going!' (throws the box to AMY) 'See that snake? The mark of the Corsair. Fantastic bloke. He had that snake as a tattoo in every regeneration. Didn't feel like himself without the tattoo. Or herself, a couple of times. Ooh, she was a bad girl!'

Latest threads

Top Bottom