OT Need gardening (tree) advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Rich Gibson, Jul 29, 2007.

1. This spring I had six Locust trees cut down in my back yard. A month later the stumps sent out about 100 runners all over my (and my neighbor's :eek:) yard. On advice from a site I drilled five holes in each stup and poured Roundup into the holes, twice now. I even sprayed each shoot as well. Now they're back with a vengeance. Worse than bamboo I swear!

Anyone have any other suggestions...short of a John Deere stump puller?

Thanks, Rich

2. Rob

Rob

Jul 28, 2005
    Truro, Cornwall, UK
    Copper nails Rich, available from boat chandlers. Whack a bunch around the circumference of the stumps and a few in the centre. Kills the stump, and in a year or so you'll be able to pull the root ball out without heavy machinery.

3. Bob Coutant

Bob Coutant Moderator Moderator

May 17, 2005
    Pleasantville Ohio
    Rich, if you can't find copper nails, use copper sulfate. As you have found out, Roundup does not do much for trees. I usally bore a couple of 1/2 inch holes in a locust tree and then fill the holes with crystals of copper sulfate.

4. Copper...thanks! I looked out in back today and there are lilterally hundreds of new locust tree shoots....why can't my grass grow so well?

Rich