OT... New Mac mouse from Apple announced

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Scott Sherman, Aug 3, 2005.

1. Okay, I know it is a bit off subject but since it is used to edit images, I just wanted to share with you that the new Mac Mouse has finally emmerged and it is designed for Tiger no less. Wonder what took so long. The bluetooth version will probably be out just after you break down and order your wired mouse. Check it out at http://www.apple.com

2. You know, they keep coming out with things like these and if i'm ever a photog with more than just a few jobs a year, I'll probably break down and buy a mac....I liked the interface back in the day when the school bought the original IMacs.... But now, considering all the you-know-what windows puts me through..... and that wonderful mac styling.....
    And the thing at the bottom of the page caught my eye...over 1,000 widgets!
    That touch sensitive right/left click is really amazing. If it works reliably (no doubt), I would love one. I'm sick of my laptop touchpad, my nice MS intellimouse explorer wireless is broken, and my mini laptop mouse takes so much pressure to click. I wish I could have one of those :)

3. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    And I just bought Becky a 2 button mouse.... (grrrrr)

Apple is the only company I like to grouse about more than Nikon. Well, maybe Qwest.

4. WOW!!! at last Apple discovered the multi-button-funtional mouse!!! :twisted:

Sorry, Scott, but whenever I use a G5 my "only" serious comment is "how can you work with ONLY one button"... :wink:

5. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Panos, it's standard Apple that pressing the Control key while clicking activates the right button functionallity. It's been like that since 1986 or so. The nice thing about one button is that kids and newbies pick it up fast. Sam, my 6 yo friend has mastered his mom's Mac because of the one button mouse.

6. nfoto

nfoto Guest

I couldn't care less.

7. dbirdsong

dbirdsong Guest

As a few of my friends said, Hell has frozen over! :)

8. guess the answer now, is that we don't have to. I must say, it looks like a pretty cool gadget. Could it be that Apple has built the better mouse at last.

9. Scott, you're right.

I will wait for the wireless version.

10. SRA

SRA

Jul 29, 2005
    Orem, Utah
    Yahoo, now how long will it take for these to show up in stores?

11. GaryW

GaryW Guest

I use the Logitech MX700 on my G5. How would this mouse be better than that - even a bluetooth version?

12. That one button mouse that came with my PowerMac lasted about a week (I wanted to give it a serious try). I couldn't handle it so I plugged in my Logitech 3 button scroll wheel from my old Windoz PC. There's no comparison.

I might head to the Apple store and test drive one of the new ones, but at $50 a pop, it would have to be pretty amazing for me to switch. By the way, Ars Technica already has a review up of the Mighty Mouse.

This truely is the year hell has frozen over for the Mac world. Steve is an amazing businessman.

13. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    Well as a windows user I think one-button mice are lame. Glad to see Apple has finally addressed that. But this mouse still looks like it has terrible ergonomics as far as comfort. I spend enough hours on the computer every day that RSI is a real concern and that dinky little flat mouse would kill my wrist. Looks like yet another example of style over substance to me.

14. Come to think of it Jeff, the Apple mouse isn't the only bad apple of the bunch, the Apple keyboard kills me too. I love the ergonomic keyboard I use at work and used to use at home on my old PC. I haven't tried connecting it to my Mac, but I have thought about buying a different Mac compatible keyboard. I can't wait for this keyboard to come out!

Anyway, none of these things are enough to sway me back to Microsoft because there are alternatives to the Apple brand input devices.

15. JeffKohn

JeffKohn

Apr 21, 2005
    Houston, TX
    I'm picky about my input devices. I'm still using the older MS Natural Keyboard Pro and Intellimouse Pro which were released several years back, because IMHO none of the stuff they've released since then is any good. In fact when MS changed the key layout on their newer natural keyboard and moved to the lightweight, cheaply-made optical mice I went and stocked up on the older models that I liked so much. I still have two of each boxed up in my closet, but when those run out in a couple more years I'm not sure what I'll do. :)

Seems like all the new stuff is being made smaller and lighter, and CHEAPER. Not to mention worrying more about style than functionality. I have the same complaint about all these new plasticky camera phones.

16. caero

caero Guest

If they would price their computers at a reasonable rate instead of the current overpricing they have, I would maybe consider switching. But as it is now I don't see how I would ever buy a mac when I could get so much more for the same kind of money in a PC.

17. WACOM Intuos 3 Graphics Tablet here :wink:

Anthony