OT: PC Question

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gbenic, Oct 19, 2005.

1. For the last couple of days, my firewall is telling me that my PC is attempting to send packets to 239.255.255.250. The packets were blocked. I did a WhoIs search and the numbers are owned by Internet Assigned Numbers Authority. Can someone tell me what's up with this?

Thanks.

2. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    Does the log files explain what kind of packets are being sent? What kind of computer do you have? HP, Compaq, Dell, custom, etc. It could be some of that spyware that HP and others put on your computer, commonly called BackWeb, that spams you with advertisments from HP, Compaq, etc.

What firewall do you have? Built in XP, Zonealarm, let us know. We'll try to help further.

Regards,

3. I own a Dell that I have already removed all the crap from years ago. I am using ZoneAlarm and the NAT built into my router. I have assigned network addresses for all PCs and printers on my network. I update and use HiJack This, AdAware, Spybot, and SpywareBlaster and have all XP updates. The most I ever get from my spyware scans is a couple of tracking cookies. I don't THINK it is spyware. My PC business has evolved into removing virii and spyware, so I am not new to this area, but am human. :biggrin:

I understand networks the least and there has been a change in mine. My Cisco router died (drowned, actually :eek:) and I replaced it with a combination of Speedstream and Linksys products. I also have a D-Link wireless router in the network, but this has been there for a few years now. This "attack" started a little while after after the "upgrade", so I don't think it is related, but I am unsure.

Unfortunately, the ZA log file doesn't say anything. It is very weird.

Thanks for taking a look at my problem and trying to help diagnose it.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2005
  4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. Paul, I believe you are correct. I disabled my UPnP stuff earlier, but lo-and-behold, it is on again! Thanks Mr. Gates! :biggrin:

I am disabling UPnP and SSDP AGAIN. Maybe it will stay off this time?

Edit: I have used the ShieldsUp page and downloaded and ran LeakTest. Everything with my firewall seems okay.

6. Well, I am still getting the alert. I need to check my Linksys router to see if it is a UPnP product. Maybe that is where this is coming from?