OT: Tell me about / show me / sell me on where you vacation?

Due to the amount of vacation time we get at work, as well as monetary constraints, my Husband and I (28 and 26) can afford to take one long vacation and a weekend trip here or there each year.

He has been all over the world, having been in the US NAVY for 6 years and I have only been to a handful or two of vacation destinations. When vacation time rolls around, we tend to stick with what we know and are comfortable with (Mexico, Aruba, Disney World, Boston, Washington DC, Cape Cod, Niagara Falls, Montreal, etc.) and wish we had tried somewhere new when we return.

We have a trip to Europe in the works for next year, but I really want some new suggestions in case that falls through.

So, if you have the time...tell me about / show me / sell me on where you vacation and why we should give it a try!

Thanks,
Ann

Costa Rica...............a cheap, beautiful paradise!

be warned, after your first trip there...........you will return!:biggrin:

We live outside of Yellowstone so every day is like a vacation! When we do travel, it's mostly national parks - Alaska, Maine, California, the desert Southwest. The concessionaires that run the lodging inside of the parks are not terribly expensive compared to a big-city hotel or Disneyworld, and the activities and scenery can't be matched.

Sean

be warned, after your first trip there...........you will return!:biggrin:

This is exactly the type of place you shouldn't suggest then! :tongue: Like I said, once we fall in love with a place---we ARE the type of people who go back as often as we can. It's problematic!

... Alaska...the desert Southwest.

Another trip on our short-list is Alaska---flying up, renting a car and driving around/exploring the Kenai Peninsula and Denali National Park. As far as the desert in the Southwest goes, does Vegas count? :wink:

LyndeeLoo

Administrator
Administrator
It's a bit far away, but I'd head straight to Southeast Asia - Bali...Thailand...Malaysia; all wonderful. Haven't been to Myanmar yet, but I hear it's a great place, as well...

Ever done a cruise? I love the fact that you spend your time pampered, being as busy or as relaxed as you want to be, and can see more than one vacation spot in a trip. I am the kind of person that gets bored pretty easy... some type of attention defecit I'm sure... so being able to explore 4 different ports, islands, or even countries in a week is very cool to me. Plus, don't get me going on the FOOD. We've done 5 cruises in the past 6 years...

Don't know all your interest but I know what I'd do ....
take about 3 weeks starting in someplace like San Diego and hit the great western states .... a big road trip with stops in Yosemite, Mt. Rainier, Olympic, Glacier , Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Arches, Zion & Bryce Canyon NP's and return with 5000+ images ....
For me that would be a USA Dream Trip ...

The eastern Canadian provinces are beautiful as well ... Nova Scotia is wonderful ....

ron

Too lazy right now to pump up my towns tires but if you have any questions about Banff National Park, the best times to go, can't miss places or anything else just ask. PM or just ask here. There's lots of pics in my sig.

We've gone to Cabo San Lucas two years in a row (last year and the previous year) and it's always a great place for a vacation. Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco are also good, and they're just our neighbor. (which means cheaper fares!) If you want something more exotic, I'd say Maldives, Bora Bora or Tahiti. If you want a really, really cool vacation, definitely go to Easter Island. :wink:

Going to southern France tomorrow, Cabreton (between Biarritz and Hossegor to be precise, a Surf-trip with friends, 8 days, 2 cars and an beachview 3 bedroom appartment as our base...

Will be taking my camera and hopefully take loads of pictures... got my 30mm 1.4 as base lens with my 70-200 for surf-action (will be too short I know but can't afford a TC at the moment...)

Thanks for all of the suggestions everyone! I've taken a look through some of the photos in the signatures and all I can say is WOW!

My vacation needs vary on a yearly basis. Sometimes we just need to relax and decompress, others we want adventure and sight-seeing and yes, even every once in a while we want to take something educational away from our trips. :rolleyes:

So now ask yourself a question - what is the one place in the world that you would want to see if now was your only chance?

answer this and you will know where to go next - after all there is no guarantee you will get another chance

I totally understand the sentiment, but I have to say---if I had to pick one place I really wanted to go, it would probably not be an easy task. Being that I'm on the younger side, there are so many places I haven't seen yet and all seem equally as interesting, so nailing down one would be rough.

I guess if I had to pick one final place to visit, it would be Europe....

...or maybe Machu Picchu...

...or maybe Tahiti...or....I'm just no good at it! :redface: :smile:

Latest threads

Top Bottom