1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

OT: Useful medical info, please pass

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by italy74, Aug 6, 2009.

1. Hi guys

I'm posting it here since it's a "worlwide board" and maybe someone of you could know someone who needs that.
    At one evening scientific documentary they talked about I don't-know-why disease (it has a strange "syndrome" name, I can't remember it, but you will understand it in a moment), where kids come to life without any defense in their immunitary system. So it's a kind of immunodeficiency disease.

Now, they said that til now, ill kids are forced to live isolated in aseptic environments (sometimes they are called "bubble kids") and unfortunately they can't have any social life because any little flu could be harmful or deathly for them. The only cure til now has been a transplant of bone marrow (which is used also for other diseases, like Leukemia).

Recently, an italian hospital, the San Raffaele in Milan has ideated a cure and already several kids come here from all over the world to cure themselves.

The problem is that ill bone marrow produces cells which DON'T contain a certain gene, responsible for the creation of immunitary system. So, finding a giver is crucial for ill kids. Now, it's NO LONGER necessary,since it has been ideated a kind of self-transplant.

Quite shortly, they take the same bone marrow of the ill boy (just to avoid later reject), take from it staminal cells and inoculate a "benign" virus which "contaminates" and "reprograms" cells to work normally and finally produce body defenses. The reworked serum is then inoculated in the veins and then the boy has to be 40 days under strict control but then he can exit and come back to life, by the time. Checks are necessary every one-two years, especially at the beginning (in the end is still a "young" immunitary system so it's still weak) but after a while the kid is finally free.

Again, maybe you don't know anyone, but just in case, take note of this hospital: San Raffaele in Milano, Italy - here's the website (english version): http://www.sanraffaele.org/EN_home/index.html

All the best to you and your families.

2. Thanks for posting Dino this may be very valuable to someone.

In my own medical odyssey of late, I found medical professional ignorant of valuable helpful procedures, that had been in use 1 to 3 years. It is always good to do your own research and ask many questions. Medical professionals do their best, but can not know, or keep up with everything.

3. This is valuable Dino. I worked with a gent whose son was born with a deficient immune system. I wonder if they can use similar technology to other genetic problems. I sure hope so!

4. MontyDog

MontyDog

Jan 30, 2005
    #1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax;

5. You're welcome, for what I heard is something new, so who knows.. once in their life maybe Italians are faster than other doctors...

6. Curing a disease with gene manipulation via a "benign" virus. Isn't that the script for the movie I am Legend? Fascinating advancement though.
    Gary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.