OT: VHS to DVD transfer

Without a device to play it there's no way to copy it... Check your local Salvation Army,
Good Will and junk shops for an old (working) VCR or VHS player for cheap... Then do
as Sean suggested...

There are companies that will transfer VHS tape to CD/DVD for you but I believe they
will not do it for copyrighted material...

Without a device to play it there's no way to copy it... Check your local Salvation Army,
Good Will and junk shops for an old (working) VCR or VHS player for cheap... Then do
as Sean suggested...

There are companies that will transfer VHS tape to CD/DVD for you but I believe they
will not do it for copyrighted material...

I'd love to find a service that would do that. I really don't want to invest in some gizmo that I'll only use once. And I'd be more than happy to purchase a DVD from Nikon School on the F4...but they aren't available.

I own a VHS/DVD burner combination. It's a one touch system. Put in the VHS tape and a blank DVD, then hit one button. It looks like this:

a20792912a3862b104321_m.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Commodorefirst

Admin/Moderator
Administrator
Real Name
Wade
I own a VHS/DVD burner combination. It's a one touch system. Put in the VHS tape and a blank DVD, then hit one button. It looks like this:

http://www.porterelectronics.com/media/03/a20792912a3862b104321_m.jpg

That is what I have and use, very hand, especially for us older public school music teachers who like to view their old concerts recorded back in the day. Excellent unit.

however, it does have some limited copyright chips in the unit so some VHS tapes might not duplicate, however they seem to be few and far between that I have found.

http://www.porterelectronics.com/media/03/a20792912a3862b104321_m.jpg

The only thing is that if the VHS is copyrighted, the DVD burner won't allow you to burn it. I have a similar machine by Panasonic, and if the VHS is coded, you can't transfer it :frown: BTW, there is no way of knowing until you try. The last one I tried with got all the way to the end, then it said it was copyrighted and couldn't burn it to a DVD.

Carole

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
The only thing is that if the VHS is copyrighted, the DVD burner won't allow you to burn it. I have a similar machine by Panasonic, and if the VHS is coded, you can't transfer it :frown: BTW, there is no way of knowing until you try. The last one I tried with got all the way to the end, then it said it was copyrighted and couldn't burn it to a DVD.

Carole

You can buy a special cable that solves that problem.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Where and what is it called? I have a bunch of VHS movies that I would love to burn onto DVDs. My machine won't let me :frown:

Carole

You need a Macrovision remover. Available on Amazon. Here is an example I just found when I searched:
http://www.amazon.com/digital-video-stabilizer-Capture-Recorder/dp/B004YTW5SI/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1369517735&sr=1-3&keywords=macrovision

Mine is built into a SCART cable and cost about half that. I last used it 5 years ago when I copied some old tapes.

Latest threads

Top Bottom