OT: Which Netflix Device to Use?

Just upgraded my TV and DVD player...both of them offer WiFi capability with Netflix built-in.

I'm curious, any thoughts on which would be the preferable device to login and stream Netflix movies to? Or is there not a difference?

Thanks.

Netflix measures your internet speed and adjusts the quality of the movie so that it plays without interruption. The faster the connection, the better the picture.
A hard wired Ethernet jack will always be faster and give a better quality picture than WiFi. If you're using WiFi, look at the specs of each unit. If one will connect to a 5GHz router. use it. You may need to upgrade your router to 5GHz.

Thanks guys...a) I have a 5GHz Cisco router, b) both the TV (Panasonic Plasma) and DVD player (LG) are brand new models that came out this spring.

I'll see if there are any published specs or if the network info tells me at what speed they connected. Both accept an Ethernet jack, although I've resisted running cable to that side. The TV seems to be working OK, but was curious about onboard memory, etc. for buffering, etc., if that would have an effect.

I stream through my PS3 over wireless G (old technology). I have no problem getting quality HD streaming video. Looks great on the iPads too.

I have a WD Player and it is a pain to search as the keyboard is on the TV screen and I have to move the cursor with the remote, press enter, and then move to the next letter. I think some newer players have a keypad on the remote which should be a lot quicker.

I use my apple TV -> RJ 45 -> broadband router.
Wifi only on the iPads.
I do not see any significant difference between these.

If you have the same smart TV as I just got (the Panasonic plasma ST60 series), I would use that as you even have a Netflix button on your TV remote. It works like a charm, in HD, and you get the 5.1 sound when routing an optical TosLink cable from the TV back to your home theater. I could also watch Netflix through Tivo or the PS3, but I find it easier through the Panasonic TV. JMHO.

The internal network of your house is largely irrelevant, it is the size of the pipe from your house to the Internet and number of devices using this pipe at the time. This coupled with contention rates and demand at your ISP can severely degrade the bandwidth that you get.

Unless of course you are on 100mb/s fibre, in which case you will not have any streaming issues :)

I've noticed different content from different devices. I.E., my PS3 offers some 3D content from Netflix that my Apple TV does not (from Netflix). I do prefer the ATV interface though. Cheers!

I can watch Netflix on my PS3, ATV, iPad, laptop and SmartTV at home. Out of all those devices, the PS3 is my favourite to use. It's fast and smooth, has the same easy-to-use interface as the browser and I have no problem streaming Super HD quality on it even though it's only 802.11g.

iPad is good too, not a fan of using Netflix on the ATV, don't like the interface on that device and also it will not auto-play the next episode if you're watching a series like it does on the browser/iPad/PS3. I don't use the Netflix app on my SmartTV at all, it's very clunky and extremely slow, takes forever to load and the interface lags like no tomorrow.

After this thread started, I went out and bought an Apple TV.
This little device was easy to set up. I'm using WiFi, 5GHz from an Apple Airport Extreme router.

I'm surprised at the quality and speed of the unit. The picture quality is very good and streaming video & movies load very quickly.
I'm using Netflix, HBO GO, and have tried other options like Podcasts and sports like MLB, and NHL..
My MacBook Air now has a small symbol on the tool bar for using the TV as a computer monitor. I can also access music and video from my hard wired Mac Pro via iTunes.

Overall I'm amazed at the picture quality and ease of setup.

I can stream Netflix from my DVD player and Roku box. I much prefer the Roku. The quality is similar and I can get used to either interface but the processing speed is much faster on the Roku than the DVD player so I have less time to wait for stuff to happen after I click. I suspect you will find similar results with the equipment you have.

Latest threads

Top Bottom