OT! Wireless Internet access on intercontinental SAS flights!

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by andreasb, Oct 17, 2005.

1. For all you geeks out there, SAS now has wireless access on their big flights, I'm at 33,000 feet over Edmonton, going from Seattle to Copenhagen and then on to Sweden to see my family.

It works quite well I would say it is about 200-300KB or so (emperical measurement from me)

What is this world coming to :)

2. I hope you're enjoying the flight. Based on the posting time, you should be up over the NWT soon?

The down side of all this technology is now people can get you to work anywhere, anytime.

Mark

3. PGB

PGB

Jan 25, 2005
    hehe, just wait until someone releases a trojan on the local network on the plane.

That is cool though, however, I try not to fly unless absolutely necessary.

Cheers,

4. Well I hope no trojan horses will attack my computer, I have all the defenses up though :)

We are at 35,000 feet now coming in over the NW territories...

5. Networks in the air are one thing....

A few years ago (I think) Microsoft 'announced' a version of Pocket PC for running automobiles.

Is "Windows in the Air" far off?

Mark

I'll stop now, just in case your bandwidth is being charged by the character.

6. TOF guy

TOF guy

Mar 11, 2005
    My german colleague tells me that Lufthansa has had this available in their planes for a while .

First class or just everybody in the plane ?

The signal will cover the entire plane, but the airline may restrict access with a password (one way would be a WEP key to decrypt the informaton), and give this data only to a restricted set of passengers :frown: .

Thierry

7. Woo hoo! We just booked our May flight to Rome on SAS. I hope they are better than United or Lufthansa. We did not enjoy our flight to and through Frankfurt on Lufthansa (747). Uncomfortable, narrow and slippery seats; 8 hours of sliding out the bottoms.

Now I will be able to regale you all with my flight to Copenhagen and Rome real-time!

By the way; are any of our Cafe members Italiano and live in Rome? I can't wait to try my Pimsleur Italian on them. If there are, perhaps we could shoot some together (May 10-23)?

On our way back we're staying two nights in Copenhagen. Any of you Danes out there want to shoot for a day in Copenhagen next May 24th?

Rich

8. strobel

strobel

Apr 30, 2005
    Algonquin, IL
    I hope they have it when we fly SAS to Denmark in spring. I Would love to have this technology on the plane to help pass those long flight hours.

9. From what I heard all thee big trans atlantic flioghts have it. However you only have power in Biz class and Economy plus. (You have to use one of those targus adapters)