OTG 80 -need to partition??

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Laryl, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    Help/Advice requested and appreciated!....
    The 80gb OTG drive arrived today.

I connected it to the computer, XP, and it reports a healthy Fat32 partition already. I copied off a couple CF cards, and they plopped right into their new folders.. everything works sweet as pie. I just had to look at the manual tho...

The "manual" says to format, creating a partion (already has one) and that "If you want this partition to used as FAT32 file format, the partition size must be below 32gb. .....

what does that mean? do I need to do anything? does it depend on what I'm using the drive for? etc :)

tia

2. I don`t know that drive, but from my experience a view guesses:

Maybe it`s only necessary to format, if you install a new Hard drive! Seems like all ready done by the manufacturer?

The 32GB Split is needed for older OS and controllers. It would be needed to be able to connect it to older PC`s

How big is the size of the existing partition? If it is only 32GB, you probably can create another 1-2 Patitions to be able to use all the Storagespace!

I hope this helps.

3. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    the entire drive is one partition, nearly it's full 80gb. .. something about FAT32 only being able to deal with 32gb partitions? thanks for the reply Michael, we'll see what others think.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

It okay! I had the same question/concern - spoke with Tech Support....the manual is not very good....

The FAT32 and the existing partition is fine just the way it is. I went into the WindowsXP administration through the control panel (as indicated in the manual) and "activated" the partition, but I'm not certain that was necessary either.

FAT32 is good up to 2 Terabytes: The following is from Microsoft: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q154997/

5. Laryl

Laryl

May 30, 2005
    Yuma, AZ
    thank you.... I had a feeling it was fine as is or it wouldn't have worked, as is. :)

Sweet little unit, and paired with the tiny pny cf reader with the built in usb2 cable it's all very compact.. great for travel.
    My only concern is the fragile nature of HD's in general, are you worried at all about the bumps and bruises that could occur? ..guess careful is the word for this unit, but better that than not be able to shoot to my hearts content.

6. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

These HDs are made very well, and were designed for bumps and bruises..so I'm not worried, more that usual,...but I won't be tossing it around either......

7. Micro-drives are quite robust. However, try to not 'jar/knock' the drive while the unit is running. :shock:

Every form of backup will fail at some point. I think Newton first stated this in Principia. :lol:

JohnG

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Or perhaps it was Murphy: :lol:

MURPHY'S LAWS
    1. Nothing is as easy as it looks.
    2. Everything takes longer than you think.
    3. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.
    4. If there is a possibility of several things going wrong, the one that will cause the most damage will be the one to go wrong. Corollary: If there is a worse time for something to go wrong, it will happen then.
    5. If anything simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
    6. If you perceive that there are four possible ways in which a procedure can go wrong, and circumvent these, then a fifth way, unprepared for, will promptly develop.
    7. Left to themselves, things tend to go from bad to worse.
    8. If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something.
    9. Nature always sides with the hidden flaw.
    10. Mother nature is a *****.
    11. It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious.
    12. Whenever you set out to do something, something else must be done first.
    13. Every solution breeds new problems.

9. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,

Sounds like the

OFWC

to me...lololol

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Absolutely! I bet we could come up with an OFWC Bible in no time at all... :lol: :lol: