OTG (On-The-Go) Storage Device Test

Discussion in 'General Technical Discussion' started by Ken-L, Jun 6, 2005.

1. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

This is an extension of the former post about the OTG https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?t=4252&highlight=

I wanted to test the OTG, so I charged the OTG and let it sit for a few days.
    With a 1GB CF Card full (RAW+JPG) I connected the OTG directly to the D70 and started the copying. At an 1h:50m the battery in the OTG was depleted and the unit shut down.

I put the AC adapter into the OTG to charge and run on A/C.

Then I connected my SanDisk Imagemate CF reader to the OTG and started the copying. Copying was finished in something over 5 hours. There were 314 files copied.

I did not repeat the test copying directly from the D70 with the OTG AC power connected. It seems that it takes as much time whether directly connected to the D70 or a Card Reader. That means that the speed of copying is determined by the speed of the OTG. I know from my other mini-hard drive, that these do run a lot slower than standard PC HDs.

My computer copied the images to my PC's HD in just a few minutes.....

So, the OTG works, but it is slow.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  2. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Five HOURS for 1 GB!! Even at USB 1.1 that's sloooow. Is your reader USB 2.0 compliant?

3. FWIW, I've only copied a couple hundred meg at a single session with this drive (both from a D70 and reader) but I sort of remember that it only took a minute or so for that image backup size. I could be mistaken but a 1GB backup should be much less than 1 hour. :?:

Maybe I'll do a test with a larger image later this week and see what I actually get.

Regards
    JohnG

4. Ken,

I'm using CompactDrive with 40GB HD.

Copying from SanDisk 4GB Ultra 2 (*full card) to CompactDrive took about ~10-15 minutes or so.

Copying 4GB from CompactDrive to PC took about 45 minutes.

5. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The copy that stopped after 1h:50m when the battery was depleted, had copied 174 files (½ NEF, ½ JPG).

My SanDisk Imagemate reader is USB 2.0, but the OTG is not.

There is over 35GB free on the OTG so it had nothing to do with running out of space. I wonder if it had anything to do with the CF card being "full". I'll try it again with the card only ½ full and see what that does.

6. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi everybody,

I use a X-Drive II model VP 2060 with 20 GB disk. It comes with an integrated CF card reader, so I don't need external reader. It doesn't look as pretty as the OTG, though. However, it works just fine. A full 1GB card takes some minutes, probably 5-10 (need to do a test, perhaps tonight).

The battery runs around 2 hours. I've used this drive for backups of my laptop as well. It works very straightforward. A friend of mine uses the same and is very satisfied.

The real advantage I see over the OTG described here is that you can just plug in the CF card and press Copy. There is an LCD display that shows you what's it's doing now, and also a beep when it finished.

By the way, the harddrive used in the X-Drive is a standard HD used for laptops. So if I needed a larger HD, I could just buy one and install it.

I'll post my findings on the transfer rate later on.

P.S.: 5 hours or so is by far too much, even with very slow CF cards and very slow USB 1.1 devices. There is definitely something wrong. Perhaps you should try a different CF? Or it may have to do with a faulty OTG? Another idea that comes to my mind is formating the CF after copying, so that the file system will be clean (formating in-camera, I mean).

Regards,

7. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Does anyone have 1 GB transfer times for the Epson P-2000 for comparison?

8. My coolwalker will download a full 4GB card in about 45-60 minutes.

9. I ahould have added that I perform this download with ac power plugged in because the battery guage went to zero on one attempt before the card finished. I was nearby and able to plug the ac power in before it went dead. I do not think the speed of load is power source related tho.

10. Ruffles

Ruffles

May 5, 2005
    Rexburg, ID
    You guys need to look into the Nexto CF. My 1 gig Sandisk Extreme 3 cards take 1 min 10 sec to transfer to the Nexto. I can trasfer 26 gigs on a battery charge. Connecting the Nexto to my PC via firewire is also very quick. I transfered 4 gigs in less than 10 min.

11. Wow! That *is* extremely slow. :shock: In the old thread, I thought Gale said she transfered 2GB in just ~6min, which I thought was exceptionally fast for such a cheap device.

https://www.nikoncafe.com//forums/viewtopic.php?p=45429#45429

If it's as slow as you report, then there's no point for me to get it as that sounds even slower than what my new iPod w/ color screen can do w/ a $30 add-on. :( I originally thought it was probably too good to be true, and now, it sounds like it. :?

_Man_

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2017
  12. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    My 2 gig card down loaded from card reader to the OTG in 6 minutes :>)))

13. jfrancis

jfrancis

May 8, 2005
    Orlando, FL
    Now that's more like it :D

14. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I'm running another test. I reformated the CF card in the camera, then copied 900MB to the CF card via my card reader. I have the card reader hooked to the OTG now, and am waiting to see how long it takes.....

15. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken,

Charge your OTG...Then connect your cf card reader..Up load the images off AC power...See wht happens.

You need to turn off the OTG when not in use..Used mine on the Merritt shoot.

When you are done... You need to turn the OTG "OFF"

i made that very error.

Another tip, might whant to up-load twice and do not reformat the cf card until you have to.

I never format my cards until I have to use them.

Hope you do not have a DOA.....

16. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

My unit was up to 45 minutes and still copying, so I shut it down.

I spoke a "Tech Support" person at Supergooddeal.com and explained that my unit, connected to either a camera or card reader is taking several hours to copy 1GB of files, and that others have told me they do not have that problem, theirs copy in several minutes.

The Techie insisted that the problem had to be with both my camera and my card reader, and that I should contact the manufactures of the camera and the card reader for them to find out what was wrong.

I suggested that I would simply return my unit, and instead of a replacement, I would just get a refund.

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Gale -

My unit was just as you suggested, and for the second "test" it was fully charged, and on A/C power. I don't reformat my cards unless there is a special reason. In the first test the card had not been reformatted since the firmware update, but I reformatted for the second test to be sure that was not the problem.

I'm sure it's a DOA.......but it is puzzling because the unit seemed to work fine when hooked to a powered USB 2.0 connection from my computer.

I'm more concerned with the response from their Tech Support.

18. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

SUCCESS - MAYBE

Third Test is a "charm"..... but why?

I deleted all the files and folders from the OTG. I copied a different set of NEF and JPG files (310 files, 957MB) onto the CF card. I attached the reader to the OTG.

The copying was finished in 2min:50sec - that's about 3 minutes for a gig, which matches what others have done - 6min for 2GB.

I'll recontact Tech Support to see if they have any ideas.

19. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Ken I did not know about a firmware up-date...

Info please.

(I meant charged and not connected to AC..)

I did have one card that did not completely load and had to reload.. Don't know why either. First time that happened.

20. heiko

heiko

May 15, 2005
    Israel
    Hi Ken,

~3 min for 1Gig is fast! I did some testing on my X-Drive II / SanDisk ImageMate SDDR-91 card reader / Sagatek 50X 1Gb CF card and it's far from that.

Here some tests I did, both with the X-Drive II and other components:

1. Copying 1 Gig files from CF onto X-Drive - runing on fully charged battery - took 18 min. The X-drive held some 11 Gbyte of data already (pictures, laptop backup, etc.).

2. Copying the 1 Gig files from X-Drive to PC via USB took a little less than 4 min.

4. The X-Drive also functions as a card reader. Transfering 1 Gig from CF via X-Drive (as CF card reader) to laptop takes a little less than 4 min.

5. Copying 1 Gig files from CF via SanDisk ImageMate card reader to PC took 7 min 15 sec.!!!

6. Copying 1 Gig from PC onto an in-camera formated Sagatek CF via SanDisk card reader takes 8 minutes !!!

7. A 1 Gig file transfer from one PC to another PC over 100 MBit Ethernet (connected via a router) takes 2 minutes.

Conclusions:

1. The SanDisk ImageMate / CF combination is SLOW. Some time ago I read on the Internet that the SanDisk ImageMate card reader isn't fast - this may confirm it.

2. It also depends on the speed of the Cf card. In my case, the CF does OK, but there are faster ones around (SanDisk Ultra/Extreme or so).

3. The X-Drive is by far slower than the OTG, if this achieves 1 Gig in 3 minutes.

4. All tests on the X-Drive were performed on battery - after 3 transfers (CF to X-Drive, X-Drive to PC, CF to PC via X-Drive) the X-Drive showed a 3/4 battery indicator.

I also did some tests with deleting the files on the CF card (instead of formating the card) then uploading new files - this caused some problems with my regular PC (Copy process was interrupted), but it worked on a laptop. File transfer on the PC was much slower then. Yet, all this is inconclusive, as things worked more or less Ok on the laptop.

By the way, Ken, you mentioned that you usually don't format the CF in-camera, but delete the files. Is there a reason for that?

I read that a CF can take only several 100,000 writes. A format is 1 write cycle, same as a file deletion. But, if you delete 300 files, you have at least 300 writes. Deleting files on a CF individually would thus decrease life span. There is also a chance that the performance of the CF goes down, as the CF and FAT becomes fragmented. See also
    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?cid=6007

I hope this is of use. In any case, it looks like the OTG is the faster solution, if paired with a fast CF and card reader.