OTG Portable Storage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gmaker1, Oct 5, 2005.

1. A while back there was a discussion on this portable storage device. I purchased one and for a while it did good. Yesterday I was testing it before I go off to Yosemite for a week, and the drive caught on fire. Boy did it stink. Needless to say, I now have to purchase a new drive. Just wanted to let others know about this.

Gil

2. Yikes, fortunately it did not have all of your precious images on it. Sounds like the manufacturer might have some responsibility here.

3. PJohnP

PJohnP

Feb 5, 2005
    Gil :

Caught on fire ? Wow.

Did you call the manufacturer ? A case like that one could get you a new one overnighted (if they're at all sensitive to their customers). Of course, you might not want another of the same item...

Have a great time in Yosemite - I'm off to Michigan on Sunday morning, but not for leisure.

John P.

4. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I no longer have my OTG, but it worked fine. This seems to be a very popular item due to it's size, ability and price, and I assume there were a lot of these sold. Depending on how long you have had it, the supplier may replace it.

It may be that the number of units that fail is within the "normal" statistics of failures. This is the first instance I have heard about this type of failure. That's little consolation to the user who has a failure though.

I'm glad you were only testing it!

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2005