OTG storage ....... found a great product

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Johnnymg, May 19, 2005.

1. Just a heads-up on what seems like a good product:

I just bought a 30GB OTG (on-the-go) storage device. It's has a USB 2.0 host so all you have to do is plug in card reader and press the copy button. LED's and beeps indicate when the copy is done. I tried it out tonight and it works perfecto.

Here's the kicker: It only costs $80. This vendor also has larger versions of this same device: http://www.supergooddeal.com/product_p/hs30otg.htm

OH, it won't interface directly to a D70 and I'm not affiliated with this vendor in any way.

Regards
    JohnG

2. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks for the info. It looks like a nice product. I use external hard drives as my backup media and this offers the extra benefit of the "on the go" transfer/storage.

I would use a card reader for transfer if the D70 cannot work with it. Have you tried to direct connect the D70? What is the reason the D70 won't interface directly with it?

I will buy the 80GB version $158 (USD).

3. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Follow up...

I spoke to someone at Supergooddeal about the D70 compatibility.

He thought that if the D70 was set in the Menu to Mass Storage, instead of PTP, it should work.

Have you tried it both ways? Mass Storage and PTP?

4. Ken

For some reason the 30 Gig version seemed to be at a great price point.

Thanks for 'woodshedding' the interface thing for me. I can't remember what mode my D70 was set to when I tried it last night. I believe it was set to the "default" transfer type ............. whatever that is. ????

Anyway, I'm still OK with doing the card reader type transfer as I recall the D70 is sloooooooooooooow as a pig from it's own USB port. I tried to download some pics from it once and I couldn't believe how slow it was.

Regards
    JohnG

5. fks

fks

Apr 30, 2005
    sf bay area
    hi ken and john-

a user report would be great. i'm curious as to how many gigabytes can be transferred on one charge.

ricky

6. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I just may have to get a couple. Great way to have extra storage.. Wonder how the reputation is on that product.

7. I believe I read that the battery will handle the full 30 GB. I haven't confirmed that, however. The device also works with the supplied AC adapter.

It appears to be a fairly well made product. The parent company has a pretty decent selection of products so it doesn't appear to be a 'fly by night' operation. I can't comment on the reliability as I just bought it.

Get this: I ordered the product on Tuesday morning and it was at my house on Wed afternoon. Holy cow!!!!!!!!! :D That's the fastest net service I've ever gotten. PGD seems like a good place to do bus with.

JohnG

8. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

The Tech Specs on the unit indicates 2 hours operation on it's Lithium Ion battery with a 2 to 2.5 hour charge needed. It also operates off it's AC adaptor.

Since I will use it for general data storage in addition to photo transfers, I'll go for the maximum 80GB size - and at $158 that a great price too.

9. Yipeeeee........... direct connection to D70 works!

Ken

You da Man! 8)

I switched the D70 to "mass storage" and bada-bing the OTG drive instantly "connected" to the D70. One button copy to the HD from the D70. This is going to be 'sweeeeeeet' when I'm OTG. :D

Regards
    JohnG

10. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Thanks for testing it. Now that we're sure it works directly it makes it an even better deal.

I'm glad you brought this one to our attention!

11. transfer comformation

Is there any way to confirm that the images have copied succesfully? I would have a hard time formating my card if I didnt know for sure that the pics had made it to their new home. Then again for that price maybe I could live on the edge a little bit. :wink:

12. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

Re: transfer comformation

That's my main concern for this type of product where there is no image view....but I will assuage my fears by testing it maybe ten times or more. If it is not absolutely perfect I'll return it, or it will become a gift for someone.....

Maybe JohnG has already tested it.....

13. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well I went for an 80 gig. Guess I will load each card twice :>)))))

If the whole thing fails, I will just cry alot.

14. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I ordered an 80GB today....

15. I have done a half dozen copies on my unit so far and everything seems OK. There is an audible double-beep at the completion of "good" copy. If the copy fails the unit should beep 4 times. My unit hasn't had a failed copy yet. :) Every copy is put into a separate sub-directory on the HD.

One option would be to buy a second 30G unit (only $80) and copy the CF to two OTG drives. The units are pretty small so it wouldn't be a show-stopper to pack two units. I'm not too concerned so I'll probably pass on this method............. at least until I have a problem. :oops:

I would assume that sooner or later any backup system is going to fail and having separate "backup targets" would be the best approach for critical pics.

Regards
    JohnG

16. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    John,
    I sure agree with you.
    Think I will pass on another one for the moment. Great for back up drives though.
    Think I would rather have this than a dvd, I think.... :>)))))

17. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

:shock: I worry about losing my images, but then I worry about all sorts of things, and I'm worried that I worry too much. :(

I suppose there could be a thread just on the fears of losing our images.

Back in the film days, I once left a roll of film in a store near Niagara Falls. Someone had found the roll, the store was holding it and then mailed it to me. Another time, a roll of my parents zillionth wedding anniversary was virtually destroyed by a film processor!

All we can do is be careful and keep our fingers crossed. And I will continue worrying. :?

18. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Well my cure little OTG drive arrived yesterday.

I like it. This is neat...Will see how it performs and may go that way for all back-up and extra computer drives. :>)))

Thanks all !!!!!!!!!

Beats a 2 gig lexar 80x at 200.00

19. Ken-L

Ken-L Guest

I got my 80GB OTG yesterday too.

Already put 40+ GB on it, works fine with the D70 (the D70 is slow), very fast with my PCs.

I'm going to fill up a 1GB CF card (RAW+JPG) and time the transfer/copy. And will keep repeating this until the battery is low. I'll report my results.

[​IMG]

20. Thanks John, Ken, Gale, and others for this thread.

Looks like a handy and useful product. I ordered the 30GB model today.

Best wishes,

David