1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Ottawa Canada Summer 08*****Very Very Large Post

Discussion in 'Wanderlust and Travel' started by warren, Aug 3, 2008.

1. We recently spent a few days in Ottawa with the family on vacation. We stayed downtown and rented a car for a trip to Montreal. I only brought one lens the sigma 30mm f1/4. I have approximately 10gb worth of pictures and it will take a long time to go through them all. I was really impressed by the hospitality of the Canadian people and will certainly consider a return trip in the near future. I must also admit a lot of ignorance about Canadian history and am glad to say the trip was a crash course of sorts and I am better off for it.

343354944_x5KAS-XL.

Guards at Governor General Residence
    339991691_jwcbH-XL.

Parliament
    339884936_UwPCo-XL.

339992280_XBugG-XL.

343355396_3Ecdq-XL.

Prime Minister's Offices
    341440565_gakSV-XL.

340735014_saBqg-XL.

Fairmont Château Laurier Hotel Views
    340734668_v4iHj-XL.

340772407_RrZDz-XL.

With view of locks
    340805819_YsHrH-XL.

Lord Elgin Hotel where we stayed with marching guards
    340804971_q2ek6-XL.

339937510_KVCzn-XL.

Bayward Market
    339992078_TwbQM-XL.

339991887_BLeqM-XL.

It will take a while for me to go through all the pictures I took but this was a fun vacation and Ottawa was a fantastic place to visit. I have shots of pretty much all the places of interest and cannot possibly post them all. Apologies for the large post. Thanks for looking.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 3, 2008
  2. Hi Warren,

Thanks for posting these, Nan & I will be there on the 15th and again on the 30th for the start and end of a trip to Greenland and far northern Canada. We will be staying at the Fairmont Hotel shown in your photos.

Do the guards march regularly, or was it some special day? Looks like lots of places to eat in the Byward Market, any to recommend?

Bob & Nan

3. Very colorful shots. So far the wife and I have vacationed twice in Ottawa; yours brought back pleasant memories. By the way, your last shot is duplicated.

4. Thanks for the kind comments. I believe the guards march for a time I believe though July and possibly August but I could be wrong. There are just too many restaurants in the Bayward market to recommend a particular one. We tried Morrocan, Indian and French cuisine and enjoyed it all.

5. Thanks Rich. We loved it. The Drive to Montreal through Southern Quebec was very scenic.

6. These bring back some great memories of when I went to Canada back in 2000. I loved Ottawa!

P.S. No photo of the flame that never goes out? Or has it gone now lol

7. NIce series...

8. Wonderful series. I feel like I just went on a trip. Well done!

9. Beautiful series!

10. Matthias

Matthias

Apr 13, 2007
    Central Texas
    Great series - seems like a wonderful place to visit.

11. It certainly is! What makes it special though is Canadians. A more pleasant and friendly sort you couldn't ask for.

12. Thanks. The flame is still there. I have a shot of it somewhere.

13. 130meow

130meow

Apr 22, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I used to work in Ottawa for 8 months... it's a great city... very pretty with a lot of things to see... if you have a chance, go to Ottawa on Canada Day (July 1st) and all the museums are free that day!

14. Nice series! I have been to Ottawa twice, more as a research visitor than a tourist but I had lots of opportunities to see a bit of the town (incl. Canada day on my first visit). However, even work gets a somewhat recreational character when being there :smile:.

What I appreciated most was the total lack of any industry and thus very clean air. I hope to return one day.

Cheers

15. warren,
    a great series
    10GB of 30/1.4 pics?
    now.... THAT'S committment
    sigma should feature you on their website. :smile:

well done
    thanks for taking us on your journey

16. fatimask

fatimask

Jun 25, 2008
    Canada
    You should check out Toronto, specifically the University of Toronto area, absolutely gorgeous architecture

17. Glad to see that you enjoyed your visit to Ottawa Warren, lovely images.
    You were in Montreal? You should have let me know, I'd have loved come and meet you.

18. Bob,

The Governor General's Foot Guards (GGFG or "Gigi's") perform a Changing of the Guard ceremony every day through July and until August 22nd from roughly 10-10:30 in the morning.

There is also a Relief of the Guard at Rideau Hall (The Governor General's residence, which is right across the road from the Prime Ministers residence) daily every hour from 9-5.

Hope you enjoy Ottawa. It is a beautiful city, also built out of a swamp, and being a capital city, it is the land that time forgot:wink::wink:

19. Just wanted to add that the Canadian Grenadier Guards also participate in the ceremonies.

20. Oops. Quite right, my bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.