Our Bluebirds are back...Spring has Sprung

Discussion in 'Birds' started by Louis Champan, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Jim Thiel, Bill Dewey and I went looking for Bluebirds last week and we found them and needless to say we were all very happy that they were back in their usual places. So shooting should be pretty decent for the next month or two. Here's a few of the shots I was able to get, all shot out the window of my truck.

DSC_4313 72wf.

DSC_4282 72wf.

DSC_4344 72wf.
    DSC_5072 72wf.

DSC_4432 72wf.

Louie

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Butlerkid

Butlerkid Cafe Ambassador Moderator

Apr 8, 2008
    Rutledge, Tennessee
    Karen
    I look forward to each spring and your bluebird images! Nice start on 2017!

• Like Like x 1
  3. I'm running out of superlatives to describe your work :) Stunning shots, all!

• Like Like x 1
  4. photogramps

photogramps

May 6, 2012
    uk
    Roger
    Such pretty birds, thanks for sharing :)

5. Excellent, Louie...!

Especially like that last one... :)

6. Super series Louie! I've never seen one of those except in pictures. Not sure if we get them here in Whatcom county.

7. Nice colors...and that last one is sick, Louie :eek:

8. Nice ones. Like 2 best.

9. Westerns and Mountains - what a treat to see, Louie!

10. Thanks very much Karen, I most appreciate your comments.

11. Thank you so much Nick for such a kind comment, I really appreciate that.

12. You nailed these buddy
    #4 is my fav

13. Enjoying them all but also #4 as a favourite. The pose and the blues make it different and special.

14. Beautiful Louis..for me the simplicity of #2 and 3

15. Thanks Roger.

Thanks William, I appreciate your commenting.

Thanks very much Jeff.

16. Hey Will, thanks they are getting real active now that they are nesting.

Thank you Allan.

Thanks very much Eric.

17. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    Louie, great pictures as usual. My bluebirds already had their first batch of this year. They had four chicks, unfortunately one of them was what I believe attacked by something the day after they all fledged. I took Jim to a rehab center but they told me next day that it did not made it. I have seen two of the three remaining chicks. I check the bird house and they have another 5 eggs again as of today. So, they have been pretty busy. I will post some pictures tomorrow.

18. Thanks very much Luis. Our Bluebirds are just now starting the mating and nesting activities, so the action should really pick up over the next few weeks. We have both the Mountain and Western Bluebirds and boy to they ever go at it (fighting) trying to steal one another's nest. Last year they had two broods which was good and offer more shooting, but they lost a lot of the vibrant colors during the second brood.

19. LuisC

LuisC

Jun 9, 2009
    Florida
    Luis Casals
    Wow, how lucky you are to get both species. I have yet to get to shoot either of them. For, now I get to enjoy the Eastern. I do noticed that they are very very aggressive towards other birds. I have two other logs in the backyard and every bird that comes in to look at them the Blue birds are on the attack mode. regardless of bird, I have seen them chase of Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Great Crested Flycatchers, Brown headed nuthatches. So do not know if nothing else will nest due to the bluebirds.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Finally time to look Louie. I should have plenty of time from now until the end of the year. It was a ton of fun going last week. Heck first time in 40 years I was able to get out the last week of my busy season. Semi-retirement is sure looking good. Great shots and maybe now I can try processing a few of mine, that is if I remember how. Can't wait for our next trip over there. Oh these are very well done and we can thank Bill for the branch.