Our D850 has slid down the list of landscape cameras

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Real Name
Karen
It appears the biggest knock against the D850 is video, which is an unused feature to me. This article rated Landscape cameras, but admits the D850 is also a fine pro grade camera for sports and all around photography (and in my experience, wildlife and birds). I love my D850 no less after reading this ariticle....and wouldn't trade it for any of the cameras listed above it! But hey, that's just me! :D

I follow a lot of landscape photographers on YouTube. They shoot with a variety of gear from Canon, Fuji, Sony, and Nikon. I think it would be a better list if they just said that all of the following cameras are good for landscape shooting and didn't rank them. Not many people can afford to switch gear every time a new "better" camera comes out. I love to shoot landscapes and don't have any of the cameras on the list, but I'm happy with what I own.

It appears the biggest knock against the D850 is video, which is an unused feature to me.
What has video to do with landscape photography?

I think it would be a better list if they just said that all of the following cameras are good for landscape shooting and didn't rank them.
And the differences are probably very minimal...and largely a matter of personal preference.

To me the most important feature for landscape photography is dynamic range at base iso. The plot below from Bill Claff shows that only the FujiFilm GFX 50s is better than the D850 in this regard, and the difference is small enough not to be field relevant.

Their #2 camera, the Canon, falls down badly in this regard...a full two stops below Nikon, Sony, and Fuji. So it's really a matter of personal preference.

They needed something to write about to draw clicks.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

To me the most important feature for landscape photography is dynamic range at base iso. The plot below from Bill Claff shows that only the FujiFilm GFX 50s is better than the D850 in this regard, and the difference is small enough not to be field relevant.

Their #2 camera, the Canon, falls down badly in this regard...a full two stops below Nikon, Sony, and Fuji. So it's really a matter of personal preference.

They needed something to write about to draw clicks.
Good Point.

If I had the money, Phase One 150 MPS with 15 stops of DR would be my camera. Nothing comes close. I've seen the output and it looks almost unreal in it's detail. All of the cameras listed are almost the same.

That said, I'll stay with my D810.

Last edited:
It appears the biggest knock against the D850 is video, which is an unused feature to me. This article rated Landscape cameras, but admits the D850 is also a fine pro grade camera for sports and all around photography (and in my experience, wildlife and birds). I love my D850 no less after reading this ariticle....and wouldn't trade it for any of the cameras listed above it! But hey, that's just me! :D
I agree with you Karen. I did not even read the article. I posted only to show that while many say the camera insustry is hurting there are still good cameras coming out.

Mr. Rogers' sane advice applies to photography too:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Seems subjective at best except for the Fuji GFX in terms of resolution and DR. The 5DS R has been out longer than the 850 - 2015. I also have an XT3 which is great for lighter weight option when hiking or tight urban areas but it doesn't beat the image quality of my 850. More clickbait

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom