Our D850 has slid down the list of landscape cameras

But aren't the Vloggers primarily using drones now for video?
It is quite true that drones are key to bloggers.
BUT:
They are using drones when and if legal to.
Also a lot of sunset sunrise are done with cameras mounted in tripod.
As a lot of vloggers rate mobility as a key factor, they will go for as little gear as possible and choose a light camera that does video in addition to the drone.
DSLRs add more weight and many do not use them as in addition to poor video there are better alternatives, especially when a drone will be part of their equipment.

I now have the BEST camera in the whole world for shooting landscape!!!! For other reasons I moved from that loser #6 D850 to #1- numero uno- bestest ever- a7riv. Now I am disappointed. My pictures have not gotten any better, they still look like my pictures. I must still need an even better camera.
Now my pack is smaller, and lighter and for me with my vision issues my manual focus confirmation is better- which is why I switched. That goal was achieved.
But my pictures do not look better.
It's not about the camera.
If anyone thinks their landscape images will get better with the move, I have a bridge I can sell you.
Gary

But aren't the Vloggers primarily using drones now for video?
I watch several YouTube landscape photographers and really enjoy them. Most use a combination of drones and cameras for their productions. When they are talking and explaining what they are experiencing it’s primarily with a camera. Many of them carry two cameras and a drone. Some use GoPros.

Interestingly, a few weeks agoI just bought the A7R IV but it wasn't because some website has now deemed it "the best" of anything, or because it is considered outstanding for landscape photography, which I don't do..... I had been considering an A7R III for quite a long time but wasn't quite ready to pull the trigger yet for various reasons, and then while I was waffling the A7R IV was announced, so I thought, "OK, I'll hang in there a little longer, see what advantages this new one might have over the A7R III," and sat back to wait and watch, to see what reviews and comments from actual users would indicate. I wanted a new camera for macros and tabletop/still life photography, but also one which I could happily shoot our local wildlife but not necessarily BIF. If I'd been aiming primarily for wildlife and BIF as my main focus I would have chosen another camera and lens(es, probably the Nikon D850 or Z7 or (more likely) the Sony A9.

Like Gary mentions above, I was interested primarily in mirrorless because of the smaller body size, lower weight of the body, the EVF and other features; I'd already been enjoying those in the Sony NEX-7 and was ready for a FF mirrorless. I really like the features and functionality of the A7R IV but, Gary is right, it's not about the camera as much as it is the person using the camera. I'm under no illusions that all of a sudden my images will suddenly be absolutely stellar and prize-winning, etc.! They aren't. :) So far I've discarded more images than I've processed and edited, as I feel my way through the inevitable learning curve and also see what works and what doesn't work for me in both the shooting process and the editing process. I'm big on the "get it right in the camera the first time" concept rather than the all-too-common "oh, well, I can fix this in Photoshop....." idea that seems to prevail among some photographers.

I love my new camera and lenses but they are only tools and in the end it is up to me to do something visually interesting with them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom