Our email was hacked!

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Justin's msn.com email account has been hacked. I have scanned my laptop computer with Defender Virus scan and Malwarebytes and changed the password for MSN/email.

What else should I do?

Real Name
Ken
Justin's msn.com email account has been hacked. I have scanned my laptop computer with Defender Virus scan and Malwarebytes and changed the password for MSN/email.

What else should I do?
Consider changing any passwords on any accounts that use that email address, especially if the password was the same. And add 2FA if you can.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Consider changing any passwords on any accounts that use that email address, especially if the password was the same. And add 2FA if you can.

--Ken
Thanks! Any accounts tied to the email have their own pw. What is 2FA........2 step verification? We already have that for account changes, including pw's.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Correct - 2 Factor Authentication.

--Ken
So even though we have 2 step verification for account changes, there isn't a verification or notification process that I know of for a fake email being sent out.

What am I missing?

Also, they apparently sent this to Justin's contact list. Anything I should do? They even sent it to my gmail email account.......in the gmail inbox it does should Justin's name and true mobile phone number as contact details.....

Going to the online MSN page, they simply recommend using Defender Virus scan and Malwarebytes....and changing the pw. I have done those 3 things.

What you have to worry about is ID theft. There is a lot that can happen with the information gathered.
Do check your bank accounts and credit reports such as Experian to ensure that no one is opening bank accounts or credit card accounts under your name.

Remove all links to credit cards from your shopping accounts, subscriptions etc...
You may want to move to virtual credit cards such as Revolut, these can only be Pre charged and rely on multi factor authentication, they can also be single use only.
Some people I know use a separate laptop for banking and payments. Totally clean and secured.
But don’t panic.
In most instances multi factor authentication is good enough.

Do remember that the FB hack led to millions of PII records ending up in the dark web.
I personally have had many accounts hacked following such leaks.
Fortunately at no financial loss.

Real Name
Ken
So even though we have 2 step verification for account changes, there isn't a verification or notification process that I know of for a fake email being sent out.

What am I missing?

Also, they apparently sent this to Justin's contact list. Anything I should do? They even sent it to my gmail email account.......in the gmail inbox it does should Justin's name and true mobile phone number as contact details.....

Going to the online MSN page, they simply recommend using Defender Virus scan and Malwarebytes....and changing the pw. I have done those 3 things.
Probably let folks on your contact list know about this if they don't already. They should no longer have access to the account, but as Morty said, it is what they had access to that may be of concern.

Good luck,

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
Remove all links to credit cards from your shopping accounts, subscriptions etc...
You may want to move to virtual credit cards such as Revolut, these can only be Pre charged and rely on multi factor authentication, they can also be single use only.
Some people I know use a separate laptop for banking and payments. Totally clean and secured.
But don’t panic.
In most instances multi factor authentication is good enough.
We don't have internet stores keep our credit card numbers on file.....unless they insist. PayPal is one.

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator
Now you have changed the password the next most important thing is this.
Did he use the same password for anything else? If so he should immediately change the password for all those accounts and this time use a different password for each one.
For example if he had the same password for Amazon, they could be buying stuff right now on his account and having it delivered to their friends.

By the way, what was the old password? Interesting to know if it was easily hackable. But it is more likely they got it by phishing or by a big hack on a website that was not secure. Yahoo is notorious for being hacked.

I recommend Gmail. Very good at filtering spam and has good security including 2FA. Free. It has 1.8 billion active users.

Last edited:
We don't have internet stores keep our credit card numbers on file.....unless they insist. PayPal is one.
PayPal.
£300 of goods ordered on my hacked account in 2 hours at 0300am in 2019.
I had my iPhone on DND until 0800 so missed all the text messages, emails and app messages.
All refunded.
I deleted my CC details since.
Enough said.

2FA is more than just for account changes. It can also be setup for anytime you login. That is a highly recommended counter measure. Even with the password, if they don’t have your cellphone with a text message verification, they are not getting in.
Very true.
With the Apple Watch we are also able to set up notifications to the watch.
It is a matter of finding the right balance between alerts and annoyance.
I still haven't found it, especially as my use of VPN triggers all sorts of alerts on all my accounts all day long.

McQ

Just your average, everyday moderator.
Real Name
Glenn
I received an email from Justin. It was an obvious hack, so I deleted it.

Glenn

I received it too, but I have to say, the first one wasn't all that obvious. It was odd, but not at all an obvious hack. It was simply Justin asking me to email him back because he needed a favor, and it used the unique font that Justin always seems to use in his emails to me. I did verify the email was his before answering him, asking what he needed.

THAT'S when I got a reply that was an obvious fake, asking me to buy Google Play gift cards for him.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom