Our email was hacked!

You also need to figure out what was forwarded to that other email address. If they did a forgot password on a site and it sent an email to change it they now have that.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
You also need to figure out what was forwarded to that other email address. If they did a forgot password on a site and it sent an email to change it they now have that.
There was no other address in the Outlook mail - Forward option.

It appears that they only got the contact list.....????

Real Name
Ken
There was no other address in the Outlook mail - Forward option.

It appears that they only got the contact list.....????
I believe that what @tenplanescrashing was referring to was if you used this email address to open/register accounts with any companies. If so, they could have written to these companies and asked to change the passwords to those accounts, thus locking you out of the accounts. If you have not used this account with any companies, then this is not an issue.

--Ken

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
I believe that what @tenplanescrashing was referring to was if you used this email address to open/register accounts with any companies. If so, they could have written to these companies and asked to change the passwords to those accounts, thus locking you out of the accounts. If you have not used this account with any companies, then this is not an issue.

--Ken
Well, the good news is that over a year ago, Richard convinced me to get my own gmail account. I started to switch most things over to that email address as they were things I mostly dealt with. Now there are only a handful of on line businesses linked to Justin's email! We will make sure to change those passwords, even though they were totally different than the old password to Justin's hacked email.

Thanks everyone! We are traveling for 2 months, so this just add another level caution to our internet access!

Well, the good news is that over a year ago, Richard convinced me to get my own gmail account. I started to switch most things over to that email address as they were things I mostly dealt with. Now there are only a handful of on line businesses linked to Justin's email! We will make sure to change those passwords, even though they were totally different than the old password to Justin's hacked email.

Thanks everyone! We are traveling for 2 months, so this just add another level caution to our internet access!
Don’t forget your VPN during your travels.
Safe travels.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It now appears that when I move an email from the Inbox to Justin's folder....the email "disappears". I cannot find it anywhere. Thoughts?

I think Justin is about ready to tackle setting up a new gmail account.

Real Name
Ken
It now appears that when I move an email from the Inbox to Justin's folder....the email "disappears". I cannot find it anywhere. Thoughts?

It sounds like there is a rule in place that is acting on the message when it is moved.

--Ken

Growltiger

Administrator
Administrator

As Ken says, check all the rules. It may have been sent to the bad guys and deleted on his account.

Yes, it really is time for Justin to make the move as you have done. And finish the job by changing the details on any remaining internet accounts that are still using your old email addresses.

Butlerkid

Cafe Ambassador
Administrator
Real Name
Karen
It sounds like there is a rule in place that is acting on the message when it is moved.

--Ken
As Ken says, check all the rules. It may have been sent to the bad guys and deleted on his account.

Yes, it really is time for Justin to make the move as you have done. And finish the job by changing the details on any remaining internet accounts that are still using your old email addresses.
I just went through and deleted ALL the Rules.

When we get home we will set up a new email account for Justin.....although he is really fighting it, he has agreed it needs to be done.

Real Name
Ken
I just went through and deleted ALL the Rules.

When we get home we will set up a new email account for Justin.....although he is really fighting it, he has agreed it needs to be done.
The other option is to "get under the hood" of the email program by getting into the settings and going through all of them to make sure it is set up as it should be. This is not that hard, but it does require a bit of time and possibly some research to understand the settings that you may not be familiar with.

--Ken

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom