1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Our garden

Discussion in 'Macro, Flowers, Insects, and Greenery' started by jbailey930, Aug 8, 2009.

1. My wife planted a couple of new gardens last year and they're coming in great. Attracting lots of interesting critters. These were shot with my 300 f4 on my D300 today. Couple shots of swallowtail and a monarch:

swallotail-1-2.jpg
    Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

swallotail-1.png

monarch-1-3.jpg

View attachment 391256

View attachment 391257

2. Your plantings sure did attract some fine specimens... I don't see a Monarch here though, an zebra swallowtail (1-3) and tiger swallowtail. I think... I have little luck getting these random flyers in crisp focus...

3. Thanks, Rich. I am not sure about the second one as the monarchs I was used to seeing were orange. That was my wife's guess. They dont mind the heat so maybe today, I will get out again.

4. Malania

Malania

Jun 6, 2009
    Oklahoma
    Great shots!

5. Nice series, I am curious to know what your settings were, the shutter speed looks a bit slow.

6. Thanks all.

Tom, I was at 1/800 S priority. I think it was a bit slow. I kept the ISO at 200 but probably could have boosted to get faster shutter speed. The hummingbird on the bird forum shows some wing movement and that was the only keeper I could publish. I was using my tripd and the Jobu Jr. gimbal, fwiw.

best
    John

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.