Our Great Falls MD...shoot

Finally, Here it goes...

Sorry for the delay! Here are some of the shots I took. Let me take another moment to say that I truly enjoyed this outing, and was so pleased to be able to make NikonCafe friends in person. Thanks Sal, and thanks to Kristin, KristinB, and Laura. It was a pleasure to meet you all. Make sure you give me a call or send me a note if you ever find yourselves in Oregon! :smile: My apologies if these don't look well processed. As I noted in a previous thread, I'm working on a laptop with a small LCD screen and my eyes are having a bit of difficulty getting the angle just right.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(Made a BW version of this one, but it is a sloppy shot to begin with, so it just did not come out well.)

(This was a rather big fish for this bird!)

(Sal was very kind and lent me his 80-400mm for these last two shots - and for a few others). The bird was still far enough away though. Still! learned plenty here)

Saw quite a few nice birds out there. I'm not a Herons in Flight (HIF, thanks Laura!) or BIF photog, heck, not even a nature photographer -- but wow, I have to at least rent a 300mm and go back to Great Falls! A few more shots in the next one.

Thanks,

Nacho :smile:

A Few More

A few more shots from the Great Falls outing:

(Ah! The official NikonCafe cap! Gotta get me one!)

Indeed lots of fun! Let's do it again!

gassho,

Nacho :wink:

Okay, here are a couple more...

Nacho,

I love your shots! :Love: Great catch on that heron with his catch, LOL! Too bad I had to leave when I did, otherwise I wouldn't have been taking down my tripod right at that time...

Nice candids, too -- I know you told me you do a lot of PJ type shooting, you have a knack for catching the right moment.

Connie,

Actually, that's a really good question! I bought myself a Beach Rolly (after watching Rich Gibson put his to good use), and I was thinking yesterday it would have come in handy. So I just called the park and confirmed that the entire path is in fact completely handicap accessible -- yay! :biggrin:

I would like to bring my 300/2.8 next time, so it would definitely be difficult to lug that along with the rest of my gear. To be honest, I was pretty wiped out by the time I got to the Lions Eyeglass Recycling Center for my volunteer stint yesterday morning, but it was pretty humid (and I left just before 9 am).

Thanks, Kristin! Yes, even though I only work afternoons on Saturdays I knew that there would be no way that I could do something like go out on an early-morning shooting expedition, come home, shower and change and then spend 4 hours on my feet at the library in the afternoon. I know my limits.... :smile:

Great, then, since I could use my wheeled bag without any problem, then Arnie (300 f/2.8) gets to come along! :smile:

what an awesome thread
as always... i love the pictures of the shooters as much as what has been captured

i hope that we'll see more
very well done... everyone

I worked as a ranger at Great Falls Maryland and Virginia in the early 70's. In June 1972, Hurricane Agnes caused a large flood on the Potomac. It took out two of those bridges that lead out to the falls on the Maryland side. We spent hours placing sandbags around the Tavern to save it from high waters. Flood waters breached the C & O Canal, and for several years, before several breaches were fixed, the canal was empty of water below Anglers Inn. On the Virginia side, the water was 4 feet deep in the Visitor's center. The highway bridge over Difficult Run was washed away.

Wow, Steve! If you have any photos from that time, you should post those in another thread -- we'd be interested to see them.

Kristin:

Thanks for the kind comments. I was surprised to find that I did catch both helicopters that flew by! : ) Oh, and that fish! I wish I had had a steadier hand, but I wanted to take the shot before the bird swallowed that fish. It seems like an awfully big fish though!

I love your shots as well, especially the first one (the one like that I took ended up screwy!), and that bird just taking off! Great way to capture that moment (and steady eye and hand!).

Steve, what a story! And being present is even more impressive. Thanks for sharing that.

Greg thanks for the kind words. I agree, the pics of shooters are so much fun!

Connie, I think you can roll a bag, but check the wheels, the sturdier (and perhaps bigger/wider) the better, as the dirt/gravelly part of the trail is in places soft enough. : )

Best Regards,

Nacho

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Steve! If you have any photos from that time, you should post those in another thread -- we'd be interested to see them.
Kristin, while I did some photography back then, I wasn't really serious about taking photos, and I didn't have much money for film. During the flood, I was working trying to save buildings and people (we had to get several people across those flooded bridges before the bridges were washed away). I did put the 1972 high water mark on the sign that was at Great Falls, VA (not sure if it's still there or not). After the flood, we had lots of work trying to find picnic tables, trash cans, etc, and get them back to their original locations, and clean up the mud in the buildings.

Okay, here are my last two! I finally got around to purchasing Photomatix, and this is my first attempt to use it. I blended seven exposures in each of these...

Kristin, while I did some photography back then, I wasn't really serious about taking photos, and I didn't have much money for film. During the flood, I was working trying to save buildings and people (we had to get several people across those flooded bridges before the bridges were washed away). I did put the 1972 high water mark on the sign that was at Great Falls, VA (not sure if it's still there or not). After the flood, we had lots of work trying to find picnic tables, trash cans, etc, and get them back to their original locations, and clean up the mud in the buildings.
Steve,

I'm pretty sure it's still there! :smile: Thanks for being a caretaker of our national parks... are you still with the NPS?

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom