Our Great Falls MD...shoot

Steve,

I'm pretty sure it's still there! :smile: Thanks for being a caretaker of our national parks... are you still with the NPS?
No Kristin, I quit working for the NPS in '79. I worked for a seismic survey company for three winters and spent one autumn in construction as a laborer. Since 1983 I've made my living as a natural history photographer (worked on 8 free-lance contracts for NGS, produced 5 books of my own). Now, I'm living mostly on the fruits of my past work selling stock photos. I'm still active photographing; I've worked in 26 countries, and still have lots more to see and photograph!

No Kristin, I quit working for the NPS in '79. I worked for a seismic survey company for three winters and spent one autumn in construction as a laborer. Since 1983 I've made my living as a natural history photographer (worked on 8 free-lance contracts for NGS, produced 5 books of my own). Now, I'm living mostly on the fruits of my past work selling stock photos. I'm still active photographing; I've worked in 26 countries, and still have lots more to see and photograph!
Wow, very impressive -- and much more fun than stacking sandbags, LOL! :tongue:

I Think The Last Few...

A few more I've been playing with as I while away the afternoon... :smile:

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

All right, now I'm getting all excited about the Shenandoah trip!

gassho,

Nacho :smile:

Thanks Nacho, your photos bring back lots of memories! I truly loved working at Great Falls (both sides). My Dad lived in the area, and every time I went to visit him, I would take hikes at Great Falls, and enjoy the eastern hardwood forests. When I was in college at the U of MD, I lived in the last private house on MacArthur Blvd on the Maryland side, and spent many hours relaxing on the trails in the park. Etched in my memories are summers when the 17 year locusts emerged, the rich greens of spring, and redbud trees in bloom, and the taste of freshly picked white corn and huge vine ripened tomatoes. I love living in Alaska, and wouldn't move south again, but I do miss the fresh vegetables and fruits of summers in the east!

Steve, thank you for that wonderful moment of mindfulness! I have yet to visit Alaska (I do have a cousin there I have to visit!), but I imagine it is quite gorgeous. The last six years we've spent a lot of time picking all sorts of berries in the Summer, and tomatoes and peppers, etc. In the Willamette valley (Oregon) those are quite plentiful. We'd definitely miss it! Well, one of these days I'll go up to Alaska.

Best,

Nacho

Wonderful images, everyone. Although I haven't been in years, the Falls area and Mather Gorge down stream are lovely areas. I'll keep an eye out for the next shoot.

Steve, that's really cool that you worked at Great Falls.

Here's a few more I wanted to share with you all...
sal

Kristin thanks! I like that HDR effect in yours very much! Totally cool. I'll return to Great Falls sometime next week I think. : )

Saludos,

Nacho

It looks like you all had a wonderful time together. Hopefully someday soon I'll have a chance to visit my family back east and drive to the falls there. Thank you for sharing your experience with us.

God Bless,
David

Okay, here are my last two! I finally got around to purchasing Photomatix, and this is my first attempt to use it. I blended seven exposures in each of these...
Wow, those are real nice. I especially like the first one. As Sal commented, they look very natural.

I worked as a ranger at Great Falls Maryland and Virginia in the early 70's. In June 1972, Hurricane Agnes caused a large flood on the Potomac.
I am from NE PA, and I recall the Flood of Agnes very well. It did a ton of damage to the Wyoming Valley. I find it unique that you posted this on June 29, and the anniversary date of when the flood hit NE PA was June 23.

Thanks Jaws!

Hey Jaws, thanks, that black and white conversion was an attempt to save that shot! It just did not cut it in color, and we all did similar shots so I wanted it to evoke something different. I did the BW conversion in CS3 and added a slight Sepia filter to it, then used the burn tool in Photoshop CS3 to bring some of the water detail back and "enhance" the look and feel of flow. I am pleased with it since after all it was an attempt to save the shot! : )

Thanks for the kind words. I'm looking forward to the next outing!

Best,

Nacho :smile:

Nacho,

That first pic worked out real well as a black and white conversion. It is very "Ansel Adams-esque".

Just great shots, Sal, Nacho and Kristin B!!! I'm not sure Kristin has posted hers yet??

I think you all put mine to shame, lol. When I look at my shots, I suddenly feel at loss as to how to post process them right, and I was hoping to try to apply LR editing to it (LR trial version though) or NX. I know I have a few shots to toss out to trash-not in focus, especially the heron leaping from rock to rock.

One of these days, I'll hunker down and really try to concentrate on PP my shots.

Keep up with the great shots! I enjoyed them all on this thread.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom