Our Great Falls MD...shoot

Wow! KristineB, looks NATURAL...nice work:smile:
sal

Wow, those are real nice. I especially like the first one. As Sal commented, they look very natural.

Kristin thanks! I like that HDR effect in yours very much! Totally cool. I'll return to Great Falls sometime next week I think. : )

Saludos,

Nacho

Thanks, Sal, Stan and Nacho! That's what I was going for... I think I'm going to have to check with Mark (Vienna Pics) for some tips and tricks, too! :smile:

Hi Kristin,
How are doing? Did you get your ND filters yet? And thanks for the comments.
sal

Sal,

I think I'm going to have to wait just a bit on the ND filters, unfortunately -- the budget has taken some serious hits lately. But they're on my list!

Just great shots, Sal, Nacho and Kristin B!!! I'm not sure Kristin has posted hers yet??

Thanks, Laura! No, we haven't seen any shots from Kristin yet. I'm curious to see the shots she took with my Sigma 150... Please find some time to work on yours, okay?

Guys,
Heads up...going back after the this week to explore further great falls md park...for those interested again, let's come out with a new thread....
sal

From Kristin B

Thanks, Laura! No, we haven't seen any shots from Kristin yet. I'm curious to see the shots she took with my Sigma 150... Please find some time to work on yours, okay?

I'll try as I keep learning Lightroom and see if I can get a nice one up for this thread...of the turkey buzzard, lol. Crystall was kind to loan me her 2 books on Lightroom, so that's good!

Here it is! I did a little work with it in Lightroom. I probably could do better but then I'm only learning how to use LR trial version. :smile:

I know this looks slightly blue but I haven't a clue how to fix it.
328901507_7j4mq-L-1.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

328901515_Q2xjA-L-1.jpg

328901521_q8fmh-L-1.jpg

328901551_Kwfnz-L-1.jpg

Very nice, Laura... And I love the buzzard!

P.S. You should be able to adjust the white balance in LR to remove the color cast.

Real Name
Kristin Rutkowski
Ok, I picked some of mine that I liked. None are award-winning, but I kind of like them. And it was fun playing with Kristin's Sigma 150mm macro (you can probably tell I'm just learning!).

No post-processing. Exif is embedded.

1. Small falls on our walk to the great falls
1.jpg

2. Another mini-falls, on the way to the great falls.
2.jpg

3. A bee, using Kristin's Sigma
bee.jpg

4. A spiderweb, using Kristin's Sigma (I think I like this lens!)
spiderweb.jpg

5. A heron at the great falls. I cropped in iPhoto, and I know the heron isn't very sharp, but I liked the general composition so I decided to post it.
heron.jpg

Kristin

Very nice, Laura... And I love the buzzard!

P.S. You should be able to adjust the white balance in LR to remove the color cast.

Thanks, Kristin. I knew it had to do with white balance but working in LR, I still haven't figured out how to tweak the WB there..got to consult a LR book that Crystall loaned me.

I love that last one! They really are pretty birds.

Kristin

Hi Kristin...your shots are great..especially the mini-falls and the spider web..very cool!! Thanks for the exif data, it answer my own question about what f/stop to use for that far away shot of the heron by the rapids in your last pic. That must help with the sharpness issue I imagine when it comes to post processing.

I liked the heron in that small pool too. (my last pic)..thanks for pointing out that heron to me that day! Thanks to LR, I used a healing brush to remove some funky debris in that small pool the heron is standing in. Looks "clean" now!

Kristin,

All very nice shots -- and I'm impressed with your ability to handhold that Sigma 150 and get those results with the bee and the spider web! :smile:

Thanks, Kristin. I knew it had to do with white balance but working in LR, I still haven't figured out how to tweak the WB there..got to consult a LR book that Crystall loaned me.

Laura,

In the Develop module, on the right hand side, it's the very first item you come to -- there's an eyedropper icon and right next to it, it says WB: As Shot. That's where you can modify the white balance.

Laura,

In the Develop module, on the right hand side, it's the very first item you come to -- there's an eyedropper icon and right next to it, it says WB: As Shot. That's where you can modify the white balance.

Thanks for the tip, Kristin. I remember seeing the eyedropper. Should I point it at the whitest area of my pic? Or is there a certain number that white should be (like black is 255) :confused:

Wonderful photos, all! I'm really looking forward to seeing this for myself on Sunday morning!

Laura, I LOVE that last photo, the one of the GBH......it's so neat the way he blends in color-wise with his surroundings! VERY nice job you did on the photo, both in terms of composition/exposure, etc., and post-processing!

Hi Connie! Aw shucks..thanks for the words. I'm glad you liked the GBH photo. I figure if a Mac user like you can see my GBH, that it's not horrible in color, that means I must be doing something right in terms of calibrating my colors and color management. I think I stink at it, lol.

My only nibble is that the white parts of the GBH's face is a bit too white..I think it needs a little toning down. I didn't do anything about the whites in LR for this bird. But I like the shades of brown surrounding the GBH.

Looking forward to seeing you at GF on Sunday! Just don't haul too much stuffs. :smile:

Waterfest in Great Falls, Va. side 7/12/2008

028-2.jpg

035.jpg

036.jpg

037-2.jpg

041-1.jpg

053.jpg

060-1.jpg

There you go Jeff.....
sal

Last edited by a moderator:
Sal, Kristin, and Laura: I hadn't returned to this thread to see the other pics posted, but I'm glad I did, even if a bit late. Thanks for posting those other shots. Sal, the kayaking event looked pretty cool. Wish I'd been there!

Laura, I'm glad you got a chance to take that Turkey Vulture, and the Heron looks great.

Kristin, no post-processing!? Great shots, I like that spider web a lot, and your shot of "Sal's Falls" is also darn cool in the cooliosity meter.

Wonderful to spend time with all of you,

Best to all,

Nacho

Latest threads

Top Bottom