Our national bird

Discussion in 'Birds' started by HarryB, Nov 8, 2005.

1. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Hi you'll,

The limpkin of course. Taken at the Viera Wetlands

43697505-L.

43697519-L.

43697509-L.

43697547-L.

43697564-L.

2. bfjr

bfjr Guest

What is this a trick title .............. maybe to much fun with the Grandkids :biggrin: :biggrin:

I really thought I was in for some great Bald Eagle shots, but no you hit us with these great oyster eatin Limpkin shots!

As always Harry such a pleasure to view your work again and again :biggrin:

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Very nice series Harry. However, you are enjoying that 500 way too much. As punishment, you have to send it to me for one month until you become more humble. :biggrin:

4. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Ohhh what an excellent Idea. Then when you're done send it to me just so we know Harrys not just faking humility to get it back! :biggrin: :tongue:

5. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    LOL....Exactly. :tongue:

6. Since I'm closer, I think maybe I should borrow it first, just to make sure it's up to your standards (Flew & Ben). I won't keep it long~you should have it back by next birding season.

Nice Limpkin, Harry!! Gale & I finally saw it on our last round before heading out on Sat....high up on a palm tree!

7. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Ben,

You know that I am currently lobbying Congress to make the Limpkin our national bird. I expect some action during this session. :biggrin:

You're just jealous because there is a serious limpkin gap between the east coast and west coast. :wink:

Thanks

8. Great series Harry. Can't wait to get down there next week. I'll give you a call and see if we can't meet up during the week.

9. Well Limpkin is a new one on me. Way to go with these fine shots.

10. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Frank. I always love capturing limpkins because they are so shy its tough to get a really good shot.

It will be a very cold day in Florida before that 500mm leaves my clutches.

11. Harry do me a favor go tie this bugger down to insure he is here for my visit in February
    By the way that first shot is just killer

12. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Kevin. Those two limpkins have been real regulars lately. I think they will be staying now.

13. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Louis and I'm looking forward to meeting you next week. I'll be PMing you soon.

14. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Let me steal a line ............ When DONKEYS FLY!!
    :biggrin: :Shocked: :biggrin: :biggrin:

15. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I know it may seem hard to belive now but what would you have said if someone told you that the star of "Conan the Barbarian" would someday be your governor. :BigGrin:

16. bfjr

bfjr Guest

Well, Let me refresh your memory that a pretty good President was the second banana in "Bedtime For Bonzo"!! :biggrin:

17. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    I would reply but I'm staying out of politics here. The concept is hilarious though and I'm not referring to "Bedtime for Bonzo".

18. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Gordon. The limpkin is only found in Florida and occasionally Georia and Maryland. Its considered to be a a fairly rare find but there have been a pair hanging out at the wetlands for awhile now. It got its name from its odd walk. Its a a very noisy bird when alarmed and its cry was recorded as one of the jungle sounds in the "Tarzan" movies.

19. :biggrin: Very nice series, but I think us westies should get that 500mm first to give it a real workout..

20. HarryB

HarryB

Jan 28, 2005
    Viera, Florida
    Thanks Mike. This pair of limpkins have been hanging around in the same area of the Wetlands for awhile now so you should be able to get some shots.