Our new neighbors

Yesterday morning my wife found three baby birds and their nest on the ground at the bottom of a small tree. After some hesitation, she put on gloves and placed the nest carefully in some lower branches and then helped the three little birds back to their home. We watched for a few hours and no adults ever showed any interest in the little guys or even the tree they were in. Since it was a hot day, I took a dropper and gave them each a bit of water. They were very sluggish initially but soon eagerly rose to take the refreshment. Finally, toward late afternoon, my wife excitedly told me the mother had found her babies.

I'm happy to report the family is doing fine.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

JLH

We have a wooded lot next to a large wooded area with a pond and some open ground. Its perfect for birds. Seems like every year a nest with babies will get blown out of a tree dumping the poor babies out. I have moved several nests back into the trees, sometimes securing them to prevent another failure. Also a couple of times I have actually moved fallen babies back into nests using my golf ball retriever thingie. It works great and has a very long reach. Seems perfect for the job! I have always used the greatest care and in all cases Mom made it back (in time) and the babies all survived. Its fun watching the parents try to find a nest. It appears they must memorize the route they follow in. If the nest is moved even slightly they have to take time to relearn how to get there. I think every baby deserves the chance to grow up and get a shot at life!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Big day for the kids, dad showed up.

_DSC9869 1.jpg

It's a full time job for two to keep them fed.

_DSC9922.jpg

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Update: what a fine mom.
Today we had some wind and rain. The early shower came with some pretty strong gusts. I checked on the nest and found mom was there shielding her young ones with her body. Later in the afternoon, it got darker, windier and the rain fell more heavily. I looked and, sure enough, she was back bearing the brunt of it again. At one point I thought the dad was there too but I couldn't tell for sure.

Nice series. There is a nesting pair of yellow crown night heron on the street. Unfortunately, the nest is in a place where photographing it is all but impossible. The branches are too dense and it is directly above the street.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom