1. Welcome to NikonCafe.com—a friendly Nikon camera & photography discussion forum!

If you are thinking of buying a camera or need help with your photos, you will find our forum members full of advice! Click here to join for free!

Our new puppy

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by Medic1210, Jul 29, 2008.

1. Just picked up our new 11wk old Blenheim colored Cavalier King Charles Spaniel yesterday. Had to grab some quick picks at one of the potty breaks on the long drive home from the breeder's house. Here are a few shots. Shot with a D80 and Nikkor 17-55/2.8 lens. Aperture priority at f/7.1 to help with slight focus errors from holding the camera blindly near my feet as I ran backwards while he followed. ISO 1000 to give enough shutter speed at that aperture since it was late afternoon. Shot RAW and converted in CS3 with just a touch of exposure, contrast, vibrance and saturation tweaks.

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    17mm    f/7.1    1/640s    ISO 1000

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    17mm    f/7.1    1/500s    ISO 1000

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    34mm    f/7.1    1/800s    ISO 1000

Unfortunately, I had to crop this one pretty heavily to fill the frame, and since it was shot at ISO 1000, it's horribly noisy. Still, I just love the expression on his face.

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    17mm    f/7.1    1/500s    ISO 1000

2. You caught some great expressions! nice shots.

3. cute dog
    great series
    congrats

4. I really like #2! :smile:

The dog breeder in me is interested in the pigment of his nose. Is it typical to have pink areas, or will those fill in to black?

5. gadgetguy11

gadgetguy11

Nov 16, 2005
    Kentucky
    These are excellent images. Congratulations on your new "member" of the family!! :biggrin::biggrin:

6. Thanks all... He really seems to have a great personality. As for the pink pigment in his nose, the breeder said this would fill to black as he ages a bit.

7. a high strung breed hell bent on pleasing the owner. you are in for a nice ride...

8. Congratulations on getting your new family member...
    What a cutie... Great series of shots...
    Love the last shot... Just great.....

9. That's exactly what we've read about it, and one of the main reasons for choosing it. An inseparable lap pad which also has a bit of a sporting heritage that will be just as content lying on it's people's lap all day as it would be going for walks or retrieving a tossed ball in the yard a hundred times. I look forward to the companionship.

10. Thank you. I love the expression. Just hate he was so far away when I took the shot. The heavy noise, tight crop and High ISO has rendered the image barely acceptable for web display. I had the lens set at 17mm, and was trying to get the shots of him running close to the lens to accentuate the wide angle distortion as much as possible. At least I managed to get some nice ones to go along with it.

11. What a cute pooch! Nice captures too!

12. Holmes

Holmes

Oct 28, 2006
    Wyoming, USA
    Very nice set! You captured some neat expressions with your technique.

Congratulations on your new family addition!

13. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said. Cute puppy, and very adventurous and successful shots. Congratulations on both counts!

14. Thank you for the comments guys/gals. He's really taken well to the family. Has a great personality too.

15. latazyo

latazyo

Apr 23, 2008
    STL
    that puppy is awesome

16. corns5

corns5

Mar 21, 2008
    Florida
    What great shots of an incredibly cute little dog! Oh, and he will get into that heart of yours soon enough! Congrats on your new friend!

17. Thank you. Here are some more shots I took of him late this evening. D80 with Nikkor 70-200VR. I was surprised the D80 was able to get the one running toward me.

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/250s    ISO 100

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 100

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/250s    ISO 100

original.
    NIKON D80    ---    200mm    f/2.8    1/200s    ISO 100

18. Oh what a sweetie. You are going to have a lot of fun :)  Can't wait to see more pictures.

19. Crazy Cat Lady

Crazy Cat Lady

Apr 2, 2008
    MI
    What a sweet looking puppy! As we were picking up our Aussie a few years ago, the breeder told us she is a pistol. Your puppy has the same look :wink: You are going to have alot of fun with him!

20. That looks like one heck of a puppy. Nice shots.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.