Our New Zealand friends - Desmond

Hey anyone hear from our friend Desmond? I don't know anything about New Zealand but do know a volcano errupted. I hope he's okay - and if ya don 't know who he is, he had a pet praying mantis that he wrote a book about. A bunch of us followed it here on the cafe and it was truly a fun and amazing story. Let me know if ya'll hear from him

For anyone not sure of the location of White Island in New Zealand, I've placed a marker near it. It is located 48km's off the east coast of the North Island.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
Sadly the death toll continues to rise. Currently, the official toll is 8, but at least another 8 are 'missing' - they are still on the island. A heli recon report suggests some of those missing have been spotted from the air, but there is no sign of life. Attempts to recover the bodies are hampered by the volcanologists reports that there's another explosion brewing. It's another very sad day for NZ.

Real Name
Maurie Hill
There are two active volcanoes in New Zealand. White Island which is a tourist attraction for those intrepid souls who want a selfie on an active volcano; and Mount Tongariro, another tourist attraction with a popular alpine walk and an adjacent ski-field. Both are on the Pacific "Ring of Fire", a near-continuous fault-line that circles the Pacific... New Zealand, Fiji, Indonesia, Philippines, Japan, Alaska, California, Mexico, Peru & Chile. There is constant thermal activity on this plate edge, and just like the residents of all those countries, we learn to live with the threat; we mitigate the risk as best we can, but sometimes Mother Nature has the final word. The Health&Safety brigade would have us wrapped in cotton-wool and never venture outside, but that is not "the New Zealand way". Just remember we're the crazies that invented Bungy Jumping, Jet Boats, and a whole bunch of other fun things that today make New Zealand The Adventure Capital Of The World.

Real Name
Philip Armitage
there is actually more than 2. At Tongariro there are three, Ruapehu, Tongariro and one other the name escapes me. Shouldn't also forget Tarawera which erupted in the 1800's with loss of life and destroyed the famed pink and white terraces, and of course mt Egmont, aka Mt Taranaki - (our Mt Fuji as shown in the Tom Cruise movie, the last Samurai)

Real Name
Maurie Hill
there is actually more than 2. At Tongariro there are three, Ruapehu, Tongariro and one other the name escapes me. Shouldn't also forget Tarawera which erupted in the 1800's with loss of life and destroyed the famed pink and white terraces, and of course mt Egmont, aka Mt Taranaki - (our Mt Fuji as shown in the Tom Cruise movie, the last Samurai)
Here's a special one for ya... a hand-coloured original photo of the Pink Terraces from 1885, a year before their destruction with the Tarawera explosion (which is right on that Ring of Fire)

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2005-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom