Our Pets and their story

Discussion in 'Other Animals' started by jbird, Aug 1, 2016.

1. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Ok. A lot of us have pets that we love greatly. Here is an opportunity to share their story. Please add in photo(s) of them and tell us about them.

Ajax was rescued from the Houston SPCA by our son. He had been in the shelter for 7 - 9 months. The reason he was kept around so long was he had washed out of police dog school. Seems that Ajax is the result of the father getting over or under a fence to the mother. One was a Beagle the other a German Shepard. Unfortunately Ajax did not get the best traits of either which would allow him to be a police dog. What he did get was a very gentle demeanor and a strong voice. Nothing can approach the house without us knowing about it. When he first came to us, he had no personality and was very timid. After a few months, he really came to life. It was an amazing transformation. Hardly a day goes by without my wife saying "Can you imagine not having Ajax?". The answer to that is no.
    14592312479_1120f09c13_c. D71_0044 by Jay OConnor, on Flickr

2. This is Sheba, about 2 1/2-3 years old. We pulled her out of a dog pound in Miami-Dade County. She was infested with ticks and had canine influenza. I'm sure if we didn't take her, they would have put her down. We treated her and she was happy and healthy for about a year and a half. Then residuals began to rear it's ugly head by attacking her pancreas and platelet count. She is once again under treatment, and we are seeing improvement every day. She is one of the sweetest dogs we've ever had!
    1. Sheba52215-14-L.

This is Jada. She's on the high side of nine years old. My son got her also from a pound. Since he's in the military, she was being borded way too many days. We are now her caring "grandparents." By day she relandscapes my yard, and by night she snuggles in to either my husband or myself. This is one of the craziest, most loving dogs we've ever had.
    2. Jada61016-6-L.

3. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    Sorry to hear about Sheba. It is easy to get attached to them. Especially when they are as good looking as Sheba. She looks like a shepherd / lab mix. Jada has mischief written all over her face.

4. Thanks so much! We're doing everything we can for Sheba. I'm being optimistic!

5. Dossy - First and foremost, I hope Sheba makes a full recovery!

Meet Curly from SC and Parker from Little Rock, AK; both rescues from puppy mills. Curly (white maltipoo) is full of himself with a big personality. He was flea infested and only weighed 5 pounds when we got him; now he is a 8 pound bruiser. Parker was better taken care of but has still put on some weight. He has a more timid personality but is very animated around my daughter and when the food bowl comes out. So far/so good on the health front and now they have had a safe home for 2 1/2 years.

DSC_4154_1_zps382830d7.

View attachment 1491155

6. jbird

jbird

Jun 22, 2016
    Sugar Land, Texas
    great sharing. Thanks for sharing.

7. banditvt

banditvt

Dec 27, 2010
    Vermont
    What a great topic. I have a furry friends with stories that I would love to share. Unfortunately my first one is a sad one.

OEgmYt7tI8a2jjNpUAUvjaMED1D54-zvzFOvBlW7mbqMQ2j42gzO_S_f7Gfxy2Wta5HognslUSIUVU07Y-S=w540-h358-no.
    cKo6MAjkXZL9DexDB9LGcneD8ApkDFpDfIBfF2dUWY1l2QFaf8ddH2ioYD3JIJIZzk74SLvhbbb0N2HcSTk=w262-h358-no.
    g-vQkbraCPI59pmz2HN0VUPBA3hwuLSCdUFEELtRXsMaG5wSDEtm-k2Fs0NOkVNfj6qeUB1aEvc8WNYpxZK=w461-h306-no.
    This is my boy Tundra RIP. I had always wanted a Siberian Husky as they are such a beautiful breed, and have (in my opinion) one of the best personalities ever. Shortly after I met my fiancee Sharon I had discussed with her that I eventually wanted to own a Siberian Husky. We had been together just shy of a year when a friend of mine who worked at a local shelter approached me about Tundra. He had been surrendered to the shelter three times over the course of about a year and a half, and was scheduled to be put down to make room for other animals coming in. He was approximately 5 years old, and was such a sweet boy. My friend was not going to allow him to be put down, and against the rules of her renters agreement brought him home to her apartment and asked us about taking him in. My fiancee and I agreed, and we brought him home just before Thanksgiving of 2006. He lived happily with us and our other two dogs until we had to put him to sleep in March of 2015 when his back legs gave out and he could no longer get up or move around the house. Next to losing my father to Lung Cancer a couple of months ago this is one of the hardest things I've ever had to do or deal with. Seeing photo's of him sparks wonderful memories, as well as many tears as I still miss him dearly.

Sorry for the sad post. I promise the following posts about our other pups will be much happier. I'm off to bed now as I have to be to work in a few short hours.