Our weird yard animals

Discussion in 'Birds' started by NeilCam, May 21, 2005.

1. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I swear here at Doolittle Central the animals are just getting weirder.

We've got Acorn Woodpeckers that seem to think that either they're twins or they're auditioning for a musical by performing "Me and My Shadow":

[​IMG]

We've got a one-eared Fox Squirrel we've christened "Lucky":

[​IMG]

Lucky's ear seems to be missing due to a birth defect rather than any accident as he/she/it has an earhole, but the flap/lobe/thingy just appears to be missing and not torn away.

Finally, but not least, we've got a skunk we've called Stampy junior ('cause he's smaller than big Stampy) who thinks he gets fed better if he comes out during daylight hours:

[​IMG]

This image was just a quick grab this afternoon and as I was rolling the camera over to get a portrait orientation that included his tail, I took a step forward and he saw me and bolted. I am rapt at getting this one pic though - I was handholding 400mm at 1/20th second.

I need to set up the tripod and get a pic at night of one of the skunks feeding and arguing with the raccoons. It's quite funny to see them bluffing the much bigger raccoons (one of whom is of course called Rocky, he's the one who when we open the door will try to walk between our legs and come inside or else he sits side-by-side with the cat at the door waiting to be fed). The skunks will stamp their front feet when bluffing the raccoons - hence the name for Stampy and Stampy Junior.

These pics aren't posted because of their artistic or photographic merit, there isn't any, but simply to show we have weird animals visiting us. Hope you enjoy them.

Oh, and get a load of the size of the hind feet on Lucky the Squirrel. You know what they say about squirrels with big feet ...

They wear big shoes. <rimshot>

Neil

2. Thats quite the backyard. LOL.............. great shot of the skunk especially consider 1/20th of a second!!! I got to get me one of those back yards, between Mike and yourself, why does anyone need to go out into the wilderness......

3. Flew

Flew

Jan 25, 2005
    Alabama
    Hey Neil, great to see you back (again.... 8)).

Don't downplay these shots. In addition to telling an interesting story, they are good images on their own.

4. Gale

Gale

Jan 26, 2005
    Viera Fl
    Now thats wonderful Love them all

That Little Stampy looks like my Stinky, I used to have.. Very interesting pet..Loved junk food, fruit and ice cream. Used to run down the hallway and stamp feet at the dog, a boxer. lolol

Fun stuff.. Thanks so much for sharing. Really enjoyed this.

afraid to ask about large squirrel feet

5. Neil:

Great pics and story. Love the comments.

Gil

6. Chris101

Chris101

Feb 2, 2005
    Arizona
    Wow Neil! What a menagerie! I'll bet they all will just walk right up to you too. In my neighborhood, not even the cats (or maybe especially the cats) will let a human approach.

Not to mention I'd feel real nervous around either a skunk or a massively endowed squirrel. They'll run right up your pantleg, you know. ;)

7. NeilCam

NeilCam

Feb 21, 2005
    Ottawa, Ontario
    I thought that was ferrets Chris, but I must dig out my flares and see if it's true. ;)

I'm not sure why Stampy junior is so aggressive. (Big) Stampy and the other unnamed skunk quite happily share the food bowls with the raccoons, but not junior. Last night (he also comes back for a feed in the middle of the night) he chased one of the raccoons down the driveway, biting it on the butt to keep it headed in the right direction.

Unfortunately, we occasionally need to shut all the windows in the house as junior has also been known to spray (probably at one of the raccoons, I aint goin outside to check). The other two don't seem to.

It's all too weird man.

Neil

8. Nice shots Neil!! That squirrel has some looooong toes. Your brave to have a skunk roaming around!! :lol: :lol: :lol: