Oura anyone?

Just curious. I am thinking of getting a oura ring. If anyone reading this has one can you tell me what you think of it. TIA.

Thanks but I am way beyond that. The wristbased trackers I am using leave out some metrics. I know it is not the trackers because they work fine for my wife. I want to try a wrist based unit, 24/7.

Various metrics but heart rate variable is the one that will not record on wrist base sensors. That makes me think other Metrics may be off. I sort have made my mind up on oura ring unless someone tells me it did not work for them. I have read many web site reviews but I don’t trust their objectivity.

Real Name
Tom Coulter
I have had an Oura ring since they were first introduced, and it is an important part of my life. I am 74- years old and very active. The Oura is great for monitoring sleep and heart rate, HRV, etc. It monitors activities throughout the day, including steps, but I do not rely on it for that. Oura's customer service is very good and responsive.

I had never heard of this, and have never tried any sort of health tracking gizmo. For the past 20 years I've tried to walk 3 to 5 miles every day. But now as I approach the end of my 80th year I find that some days I just don't feel very energetic like I used to. I've just read much of the hype on their web page, but I'm still not convinced.

I'm interested in following this discussion.

Well, I am a longtime runner who has been keeping stats on fitness metrics for a long time. I also have had a fib and irregular heart rhythm. So I am looking for something better than what I know have.
If I did it track metrics now I don’t think I would start without a medical reason.

I use an Applewatch 6. I apparently have some relatively mild tachycardia which I've been able to document (and resulted in a full cardiac work-up). I know it can track much more though I don't have everything set up.

As an aside, there's a rumor that the next generation of apple watch may support blood sugar monitoring. If true, hold on to your apple stock . . .

Last edited:
I was a runner for 20 years but got sidelined by piriformis syndrome (pain in the butt).
That can be a painful problem. I am slower and stiffer than I was 13 years ago (when I had my 20th anniversary) but I have avoided injuries that last beyond a few weeks.

I slower got into the metrics and look for something better. Does it matter - not really - it just makes me feel good. There is a band called Whoop that serious athlehes use - it gives you recommendations for workouts based on sleep and strain scores. That is nice if you plan to follow that dvice - I don't so I will only think about Whoop if I get an Oura and return it for some reaason.

I use an Applewatch 6. I apparently have some relatively mild tachycardia which I've been able to document (and resulted in a full cardiac work-up). I know it can track much more though I don't have everything set up.

As an aside, there's a rumor that the next generation of apple watch may support blood sugar monitoring. If true, hold on to your apple stock . . .
The Applewatch does measure sleep but gives less details than other devices that track sleep. See here for a review.

The Applewatch does measure sleep but gives less details than other devices that track sleep. See here for a review.
I don't use that feature but it sounds of limited use for sleep tracking. I will say that basically I can charge my watch while I have morning coffee but the author may be right about how much energy the app uses.

Real Name
Tom Coulter
I was a runner for 20 years but got sidelined by piriformis syndrome (pain in the butt).
I was a distance runner for 33 years, including 18 years and 4 months without missing a single day (which was really dumb!). I ran 30 marathons and over 300 half marathons. The result of all that is that I have had both hips replaced. The surgeon told me to forget running, so I have used an elliptical trainer since quitting. I hate it, but it is better than nothing. I bought a Concept 2 rower about six months ago, and it is terrific. I wish I had got the rower years ago.

The Oura ring is terrific for monitoring heart activity - heart rate and HRV.

I was a distance runner for 33 years, including 18 years and 4 months without missing a single day (which was really dumb!). I ran 30 marathons and over 300 half marathons. The result of all that is that I have had both hips replaced. The surgeon told me to forget running, so I have used an elliptical trainer since quitting. I hate it, but it is better than nothing. I bought a Concept 2 rower about six months ago, and it is terrific. I wish I had got the rower years ago.

I have now run longer than you (43 years.) I got in 5 more marathons but I only did about 10 halfs. I never had a streak last more than 3.5 years - that was long ago.

If I could not run I would just walk our dog for exercise (or so I think.) I am not up for other exercises though I know I should lift some weights. I have a heavier than normal kayak and each summer it gets harder to get it on the roof of my car.

I did not want to commit to buying the ring so I ordered for $29 the sizing kit for an ebay seller. People say a key is to get the right size. It has to be able to fit over the knuckles but tight enough so it doesn't turn - the sensor part needs to stay on the inside. WHEn I get the sizing kit and if it seems like I can find a proper size I will give it a try. Or so I say today.

My son, who is almost 51, has run 30 marathons, including NYC, Boston (twice), Chicago, LA, Big Sur, Atlanta, Pike's Peak, and the original marathon course in Greece. He seems to be tapering back a bit now. He still runs, but hasn't done a marathon in a year or two.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Nikon Cafe is a fan site and not associated with Nikon Corporation.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom